Thread: Buttolo caller wont squeak

Buttolo caller wont squeak

Basically left the caller in the car for the last 2 days and I think the temperature may have effected it - was surprisingly hot! It is now just blowing air at me and not squeaking. Now I know there are screws under the body of the caller but before I go tinkering to find the reed, will unscrewing the thing render it useless? Looking at it, it looks a fairly tight thing and I don't want to break any seals (though it may be goosed anyway). It is fairly new so unsure what could have happened in the last 2 days. Body is still sound, no cracks.

Has anyone else had similar issues and taken apart/reassembled the thing without issue?

Thanks

Chris

When the first one I owned split after years of use, I took it apart out of curiosity. The call didn't appear amenable to being taken apart via the screws in the bottom plate.
    If you remove the small rubber bulb on the front of the call, you will find a small 'tuning' screw, which you can move without damaging the call.
    I have no idea whether that would make any difference to a 'cooked' call though.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Try sucking where the small bulb fits. It's just a reed valve system inside.

Could any debris or moisture have got into it? Both may be the problem?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Shouldn't think any water or debris could have got in. Used it only on Monday and has gone from pocket to car. Like has been said above it seems to be cooked. It is a simple thing but unsure why it would have gone quiet. Unless of course the plastic expanded in the heat and moved the tuning screw? Might stick it in the fridge!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    Shouldn't think any water or debris could have got in. Used it only on Monday and has gone from pocket to car. Like has been said above it seems to be cooked. It is a simple thing but unsure why it would have gone quiet. Unless of course the plastic expanded in the heat and moved the tuning screw? Might stick it in the fridge!
    Don't forget to chill the tonic water and add a slice of lime

Well just in case anyone experiences the same thing, the buttolo, like the dog, does not do well in a hot car. Took it apart (btw the screws on the underside do nothing) and the reed was bent. I take it that the heat was enough to deform it so it wouldn't function. Ripped the reed off (it is glued to the base) and turned it around after playing with it the right way round and failing to make it work. I get a noise now but it just aint the same. I could make another reed from some plastic but I know the noise I will get just wont be the same so having to bite the bullet and get another. Mad!

If anyone is interested here is the pics of the inside. Held in by a grub screw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160722_183049.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	287.2 KB 
ID:	72543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160722_183102.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	72544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160722_183121.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	72545Attachment 72546

Had the same problem with a Fallow call. Made a replacement reed from a negative strip. Makes a noise but as you say it's just not the same.....

Plastics is my job and im afraid any plastic heated up too far will soften and shrink out of shape unless its "thermoset" which will only mould once.Its made to a price and so its heat range is not so good .Pain but its new call time atb
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    Well just in case anyone experiences the same thing, the buttolo, like the dog, does not do well in a hot car. Took it apart (btw the screws on the underside do nothing) and the reed was bent. I take it that the heat was enough to deform it so it wouldn't function. Ripped the reed off (it is glued to the base) and turned it around after playing with it the right way round and failing to make it work. I get a noise now but it just aint the same. I could make another reed from some plastic but I know the noise I will get just wont be the same so having to bite the bullet and get another. Mad!

If anyone is interested here is the pics of the inside. Held in by a grub screw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160722_183049.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	287.2 KB 
ID:	72543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160722_183102.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	72544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160722_183121.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	72545Attachment 72546
    i have the bottom of a buttolo caller, my rubber bulb went. If you want it for the reed pm me your address and I'll post it to you FOC