Thread: Tikka T3X

Tikka T3X

I hope this is ok in this section. . .

I'm toying with the idea of buying a new Tikka T3X just for the action.

Would anyone be interested in buying a brand new T3X stock and barrel?

The buyer can determine the calibre (subject to a reasonably quick delivery time), but the bolt needs to be .308 case family size and the barrel will need to be stainless.

The stock will come with the trigger guard and magazine.

The price of the stock and barrel will be determined by finish/style.

I guess pricing examples would be in the region of £250 for a sporter stainless barrel + RFD to RFD costs and £350 + delivery for a synthetic stock from a T3X Lite, but open to offers.

ATB

Jack

Maybe a dumb question but as you clearly want a donor action, why not buy a secondhand T3 with a shot out barrel and go from there rather than junk get a new gun?? You can find them around for £300-400

like this

Tikka .270 T3 Hunter Bolt Action Second Hand Rifle for sale. Buy for 375.

or this

Tikka .22-250 T3 Lite Bolt Action Second Hand Rifle for sale. Buy for 375.

i know that the t3x has a metal shroud but these are readily available and simple to fit without tools. Or am I missing a bigger reason to go with a T3x??
    Last edited by srvet; 23-07-2016 at 21:11.

The T3X has a bigger ejection port and screw holes to accept picitanny rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    ???????
    I've got a T3 with a Picatinny rail that I fitted myself into the screw holes already there. My T3X's(Super Varmints) came with Picatinny rails already fitted.

Heads up that you might get £100-150 for the barrel, and £150 for the stock. No-one will need a T3X barrel for 8-12000 rounds, and they are likely to buy their new rifle with the stock that they want, so there won't be demand for a replacement for sometime.

I agree with srvet - I'd buy a shot out rifle with an action that suits your requirements and get the picatinny fitted by the gunsmith that does your rebarrel. Personally, I'd buy an older Sako (or Tikka) and rebarrel that.

Now, it's your money, so are perfectly entitled to do as you want, but I'm struggling to make your maths work.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

It's quite common to get a gunsmith to mill the ejection port on a T3 larger. Just buy an old one, it has threaded holes in the action anyway and if you need a bigger ejection port then get in enlarged by a gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Even the older 595 had pre drilled holes for picatinny rails so the only difference is the ejection port. This sounds like Tikka going through the same process as with the 590 (smaller ejection port) to 595 (larger ejection port). Is a smaller ejection port a big deal? Will probably make the action slightly stiffer

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Even the older 595 had pre drilled holes for picatinny rails so the only difference is the ejection port. This sounds like Tikka going through the same process as with the 590 (smaller ejection port) to 595 (larger ejection port). Is a smaller ejection port a big deal? Will probably make the action slightly stiffer
    That's not quite right.

The M595/M695 series had threaded holes for Weaver Mounts (tapped in the same pitch of the standard WM grub screws) as had the preceding M55/M65 actions. Despite providing action dovetails for one-piece rings I suppose that Tikkakoski recognised that there would be devotees of 'American mounts' out there who wouldn't use their new fangled mounting system. I doubt they considered someone would want to add another layer to the sandwich with a picatinny rail.

It's easy to forget that these were designed for the home market, rather than competing with other makes & their clones in the US/global sales market that the T3 is aimed at.

The Tikka rail ringsets of 20-30 years ago were ugly, clunky, and expensive but they were more robust & a lot easier to fit than the modern Optlilocks.

The M590/M690 side port handicapped those who needed to load rounds singly, particularly when they were wearing gloves.
    The M595/M695 has an open top so it's a better compromise with a 'scope mounted, given the single stack magazine fitted to both.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Hi Fitted rails to both 595 and t3, the t3x has two extra holes for more secure fitting.
    Jim