Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And today, in Jay's continuing adventure in learning to reload....

And today, in Jay's continuing adventure in learning to reload....

there have been some valuable lessons.
    1: don't reload when you're tired.
    2: Remember to prime your newly trimmed and chamfered brass BEFORE you add powder and bullets.
    3: kinetic hammers are a really useful addition to the loading kit and it was a smart decision to buy one before I needed it.
    4: It doesn't matter how carefully you measure things with your shiny new OAL gauge and callipers, or how carefully you seat your bullets so that all the rounds are exactly the ideal length for your precisely measured chamber length, if you haven't measured the inside of your bloody magazine.
    You're still a complete numpty when sitting at the shooting bench wondering why your rounds won't fit in the magazine and have to pack everything back up again and take it all back to the workshop to seat the bullets 1.5mm deeper in the cases so they'll actually fit in the mag and chamber when you cycle the action.

tell me you did not work up the load then seat 1.5mm deeper....it will have consequences and may stop the learning adventure

there have been some valuable lessons.
    1: don't reload when you're tired.
    2: Remember to prime your newly trimmed and chamfered brass BEFORE you add powder and bullets.
    3: kinetic hammers are a really useful addition to the loading kit and it was a smart decision to buy one before I needed it.
    4: It doesn't matter how carefully you measure things with your shiny new OAL gauge and callipers, or how carefully you seat your bullets so that all the rounds are exactly the ideal length for your precisely measured chamber length, if you haven't measured the inside of your bloody magazine.
    You're still a complete numpty when sitting at the shooting bench wondering why your rounds won't fit in the magazine and have to pack everything back up again and take it all back to the workshop to seat the bullets 1.5mm deeper in the cases so they'll actually fit in the mag and chamber when you cycle the action.
    Ha, so funny. I have done the powder filling without the primers in before as well. Infact I think I have done them all. Add to your list, If someone pops in for a yarn just stop. Dont try and carry on when someone is nipping your head

The load was an average load, plenty of spare space in the case so seating it lower shouldn't be an issue if it's not compressing the load, should it? I haven't worked up an accuracy load yet, that's next on the list, though I'm pretty much stuck with this cartridge length or perhaps a hair longer, it's certainly not going to be just 'off the lands' or it won't go in the magazine.

After a single cold bore shot, I put 3 shots in less than an inch so it seems to be a decent load, no sign of any pressure issues with the cases afterwards.

I'm open to anything you can add to make me safer on this, which is why I post my mistakes along the journey, it's all about trying to learn to be as safe and accurate as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    tell me you did not work up the load then seat 1.5mm deeper....it will have consequences and may stop the learning adventure

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    Ha, so funny. I have done the powder filling without the primers in before as well. Infact I think I have done them all. Add to your list, If someone pops in for a yarn just stop. Dont try and carry on when someone is nipping your head
    The only company in the workshop I'll accept and keep on loading is the dog, curled up on the floor next to my stool at the bench

I can relate to some of that.

The most annoying thing to happen to me, and it has only happened once!
    After using my RCBS combo i drain the powder using the side chute, but after it's first use i forgot to close it, i rocked up the next time, poured in my powder, and out it flooded onto the kitchen worktop, the floor, and every little crevice it could find.

Cheers

Richard

Once you get the load right keep a dummy round of it for comparison.
    Marker pen can write load data on the side of the case.
    Keep a journal of each step for each batch of rounds.

Good advice, thanks. I'm keeping notes, I'd not thought of the dummy load though, that's a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    Once you get the load right keep a dummy round of it for comparison.
    Marker pen can write load data on the side of the case.
    Keep a journal of each step for each batch of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    I can relate to some of that.

The most annoying thing to happen to me, and it has only happened once!
    After using my RCBS combo i drain the powder using the side chute, but after it's first use i forgot to close it, i rocked up the next time, poured in my powder, and out it flooded onto the kitchen worktop, the floor, and every little crevice it could find.

Cheers

Richard
    Been there done that

Ray

all part of the fun that will still supprise you in years to come lol