Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect shot.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

The perfect shot.

This subject was mentioned in the post on the single shot rifle. That post has gotten way too long in the tooth, so I'm not going to add to it. Some seem to think "the perfect shot" means the games goes down instantly and dies right there. That happens in some perfect shots, but not all. A perfect shot is one in which the animal will die shortly after being hit. I'm talking seconds or minutes or in some cases instantly. Why do some animals hit straight through the heart die and drop instantly and others run off a 100 yards or more and die? Answer: it depends. It depends on what the animals heart was doing when it was shot. If it was in the contraction mode when hit, the blood pressure will spike and may burst blood vessels in the brain and down it goes. If it was not beating at the moment of being hit, it may run off even if shot through the heart. There are other factors involved too, but I think the above is the biggest. I gleaned this from an article I read in Outdoor Life years ago. I believe it is a solid explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    This subject was mentioned in the post on the single shot rifle. That post has gotten way too long in the tooth, so I'm not going to add to it. Some seem to think "the perfect shot" means the games goes down instantly and dies right there. That happens in some perfect shots, but not all. A perfect shot is one in which the animal will die shortly after being hit. I'm talking seconds or minutes or in some cases instantly. Why do some animals hit straight through the heart die and drop instantly and others run off a 100 yards or more and die? Answer: it depends. It depends on what the animals heart was doing when it was shot. If it was in the contraction mode when hit, the blood pressure will spike and may burst blood vessels in the brain and down it goes. If it was not beating at the moment of being hit, it may run off even if shot through the heart. There are other factors involved too, but I think the above is the biggest. I gleaned this from an article I read in Outdoor Life years ago. I believe it is a solid explanation.
    Sounds totally made up to me? How would anyone know what state of beating its heart was at on being shot? What I do know is that if the deer hasn't seen you then it's probably going to flop straight onto the floor. If it's on high alert and staring you out at the time, then there is a much higher chance that it will run on being shot.

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Sounds totally made up to me? How would anyone know what state of beating its heart was at on being shot? What I do know is that if the deer hasn't seen you then it's probably going to flop straight onto the floor. If it's on high alert and staring you out at the time, then there is a much higher chance that it will run on being shot.
    That's my experience too.
    i think there maybe something in the heart idea, but the instant pole axe has more to do with a shock to the CNS. I notice that if a bone is struck the shock seems to drop the beast on the spot. But if you go between the ribs it's more likely to run.

Wearing lucky pants helps.

Even if some don't believe it, it also has something to do with the bullet and it's speed. Shoot a deer side on with a 22lr it will run very far, same bullet weight from a 223 or 22-250 it will go down instantly or say much more instantly. Bullet speed and energy makes a difference. The few Sika deer I shot with a 22-250 in the chest all dropped on the spot, every Sika I saw shot with the same shot placement out of a 6.5x55 with 156 bullet just ran away to die 100-200 yards later.
    I mainly use 308 for deer and most run about 10-50yds with H/L shot. Put the bullet an inch below the spine and they go down on the spot possibly due to spinal concussion.
    For some it doesn't matter if deer run 100-200yds but in our country it can mean the deer is lost as it could run onto another persons land.
    edi

Why do some deer run when shot, rather than drop like a stone.
    Unbelievable desire and will to live.

I subscribe to the cns concussion camp. This shock wave should hopefully propagate through the cns.

A perfect shock will have enough blood vessel or organ trauma that the animal bleeds out before regaining consciousness.

I don't believe that the point in the cardiac cycle makes significant if any difference.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    I should have mentioned this in my initial post, autopsys were done on the animals that the article was based on, the animals that went straight down all had burst blood vessels in the brain. The animals that did not go straight down did not have burst blood vessels in the brain. If I remember correctly, the article was written by Jim Charmichael.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    I should have mentioned this in my initial post, autopsys were done on the animals that the article was based on, the animals that went straight down all had burst blood vessels in the brain. The animals that did not go straight down did not have burst blood vessels in the brain. If I remember correctly, the article was written by Jim Charmichael.
    How was the point in the cardiac cycle determined?

If if the beast is alert, they tend to be the ones that will run after being shot. Beasts that are feeding or just going along doing their thing will tend to fall on the spot.