Cuban cigars...i have no idea what to buy

devon deer stalker

Some advice please.
I want to buy some cuban cigars for my friend in Montana when i go over, he has been such a great help in the past.
But, i have never smoked, so i haven't got a clue, but in Exeter there is a shop i can get them from.
I do have a limited budget, as i understand some can be very, very expensive!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Richard

Romeo y Julieta No.2 very nice smoke as is Montecristo they are my favourites. Buy them in the duty free much cheaper.
Tusker

Last edited:
Some advice please.
I want to buy some cuban cigars for my friend in Montana when i go over, he has been such a great help in the past.
But, i have never smoked, so i haven't got a clue, but in Exeter there is a shop i can get them from.
I do have a limited budget, as i understand some can be very, very expensive!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Richard

As above , get them in the "Duty Free"..... still not cheap, but much less than retail in UK - My choice would be a Montecristo#3......

That will be much appreciated by any cigar enthusiast.

If your local shop is anything like the one I use then the owner should be very friendly and happy to advise you if you give him some info on your friend and your budget.

My old fav was the R&J #4 very smooth , cool Smoke add a nice ruby port in the other hand haaa Bisto , :thumb: this makes me wonder why did I give up log sucking ? hmm I remember £9 A Pop Back then @ 3 box's x 10 each a week soon added up to a new rifle each month up in white smoke :norty:

Richard,

I was in Cuba last year and the two brands in the photo were highly recommended by a number of people, so I purchased some for those special occasions in life.

ATB 243 Stalker.

image.jpeg

Richard,

I was in Cuba last year and the two brands in the photo were highly recommended by a number of people, so I purchased some for those special occasions in life.

ATB 243 Stalk

View attachment 72580

You are an awful man, I hoped nobody would mention the word Cohiba. I have come over all unnecessary and can taste it whilst salivating and trying to light my pipe.

The problem is legally getting the Cuban cigars in to the USA. I don't know if the Obama regime has yet dropped the ban on importation, though they are promising that, and lots more, to Castro.

I don't smoke many cigars anymore, but used to travel on business to all over the Caribbean, and found that the expatriate cigars by the families who fled Cuba actually made cigars superior, to my tastes and my friends' tastes, to any Cubans we tried ( Cohiba, Upmann, Montecristo ). Premium Dominican and Nicaraguan smokes, like Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur, Padron, etc were only about $1 a stick in the D.R., and two boxes duty free for us then.

If he is a true aficionado find out what he smokes and go from there, ask him or have someone take a peek inside his humidor. Be aware there are tons of counterfeit cubans do your research and make sure you are getting the real deal.

Make sure you shop for them from here;

https://www.cigarone.com

Great prices and 1st class service.

you can't go wrong with either Romeo y Julieta "wide Churchills" or Partagas D4's or D5's, Montecristo "no 2" or Edmundo's or Eagles also Cohiba "siglo 1, 2, or 3....... All crowd pleasers.

Even better you can put a mix box of 10 cigars together at Cigarone.

They are shipped from Switzerland, you will not find anything even close to his prices and they always arrive extremely well protected and vacuum packed.

all the best

Romeo y Julieta No.2 very nice smoke as is Montecristo they are my favourites. Buy them in the duty free much cheaper.
Tusker
Quite agree, I'd add a Cohiba to the short llst but R&J No.2 is a very good mid range smoke that will be well appreciated. Buy them in duty free and, as you are leaving the EU they, will be even cheaper, look for the two price system. If you happen to transit through Schipol they have a climate controlled cigar room in the duty free with a very good selection.

I had two siglo six cohibas destroyed in front of me by the Americans in February that I'd brought in duty free on the way to the shot show , I could have cried !

check you can take them !

I smoke about 200 a year so am quite fussy with my cigars. If your friend is a serious smoker best to ask him what sort of cigars he likes as like Whiskey people have a specific type and flavour they enjoy.

However if you just want to surprise him I would look at Monte No2, Partgas D 4 or E series, Hoyo De Monetary Epicure No2 and or something else like a Romeo and Jullietta or one of my favourites Bolivar LE Super Coronas . They are pretty much go to staples for most.

Not currently sure about the status of the smokes to america if of cuban origin I know plans are afoot to allow the sale and resale of this but be warned an over jealous official may bust your ass about them.

When I went to NYC I took 10 smokes de banded them all and put them in an old tupperwear box.

Last edited:
You lads have me longing for a smoke you buggers. Been stopped over ten years now but still get the urge.

Back