Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handling big reds on your own?

Handling big reds on your own?

I've mainly shot roe, fallow and munties to date, a lot of the time on my own but have usually managed extraction and carcass handling fine myself - rarely have to drag a carcass more than a field or two to the vehicle. I have a drag tray and David Stretton hoist which is ideal for the bigger fallow bucks. I've now got the possibility of helping out with the odd lowland red and will most likely be on my own. Agricultural land, so should be able to get pretty close with a vehicle and imagine (with some sensible shot choices!) I can get the carcass to the vehicle or vice versa, then hung up and gralloched. What do folk use for getting big reds into the back of a vehicle? It's a Land Rover, but I guess the principle is the same for pick ups etc? Hand winch and a ramp?

Trailer every time! They're big and they stink! Even a calf would not enter the confines of my car! The lift into a trailer is only couple of feet which is quite do-able on your own without a load of equipment!

Take just the back wheels & the backstraps. You dont even need to gut them this way.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

thats what i try and do if not a trailer borrow the farm quad
    Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Trailer every time! They're big and they stink! Even a calf would not enter the confines of my car! The lift into a trailer is only couple of feet which is quite do-able on your own without a load of equipment!

If you cannot get a help to lift it, you need a 12 volt winch to help get it into a trailer, or the back of the pick-up, and if a big beast you will need the winch to get it up in the larder. Before shooting reds in crops speak with the farmer, they will usually let you drive up the tram lines to pick up a carcase, when the crop is not to high, or may help with a forklift, as any farmer will be glad to see you removing them out of his crop.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldGamey View Post
    If you cannot get a help to lift it, you need a 12 volt winch to help get it into a trailer, or the back of the pick-up,
    I guess that if you're a bit puny then this may be the case. Personally, I have managed to get all the reds I have shot into the trailer with no problem without needing to break out the lifting equipment. Into the back of a pick up would be another thing entirely!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Take just the back wheels & the backstraps. You dont even need to gut them this way.
    not the done thing over here old bean!!

There has already been some good advice in the posts above.
    My method uses a David Stretton hoist, which I carry in my Brenderup 1100s trailer. Trailer is fitted with a jockey wheel too.

Once near enough to the carcass, I unhook the trailer and erect the hoist. Winch the deer up and field dress it. I then push the trailer underneath the suspended carcass, which with a routine woodland Red, can be a bit of a squeeze to get the necessary height clearance, then lower the carcass into the trailer so that the trailer is well balanced.
    I them unhook the hoist, dismantle it, load it into the trailer and manoeuvre the trailer back onto the tow hitch and away we go.

I try to avoid going after (Woodland/Farmland) Red alone, as I simply cannot move them without my mechanical aids. I have seen several folks with serious hernias and/or slipped discs, who thought they could get a big Red into a truck, perhaps actually achieved the lift, but lived to regret doing so.

An unremarkable (not full-grown) young Red stag will weigh 300lbs live weight in this part of the country. They get much bigger and heavier than that too.
    Best idea of all is the farm Teleporter though. That makes light work of lifting them, even two or three at a time.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

A long rope and a pulley is great if you can get a vehicle within the length of rope you have. I carry a 200m rope for this purpose. The best thing is a quad but not every one has access to one.

Just waiting for the introduction of Martin`s chocolate crane and Redmists customised 45 gallon plastic drum