Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking in new rifle

Breaking in new rifle

I've just been out with a new howa in 243 win. It groups within the inch with 3 shots but then I will go back to the rifle 10 mins later and fire another 3, same group size but off to the left by 2 inch and up 2 inch. I re zero and same happens. I'm using win xp 95 grain . Could this be caused by the barrel getting hot? Shot 40 in 2 hours with cleaning in between. I just can't get a constant group around the center.
    Last edited by Msdt601119; 24-07-2016 at 19:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Msdt601119 View Post
    I've just been out with a new howa in 243 win. It groups within the inch with 3 shots but then I will go back to the rifle 10 mins later and fire another 3, same group size but off to the left by 2 inch and up 2 inch. I re zero and same happens. I'm using win xp 95 grain . Could this be caused by the barrel getting hot? Shot 40 in 2 hours with cleaning in between. I just can't get a constant group around the center.
    I doubt it. If the scope isn't suspect it's probably you. Are you getting a good cheek weld and getting your eye in the same place behind the scope each time?~Muir

Try firing slowly, allowing the barrel to cool after each shot, then see if you still get a double group. If you do its likely to be bedding or scope..

40 shots in 2 hours is fast? Check the torque on the action screws, fumbling around cleaning it may be causing movement. Try shooting without the cleaning in between.
    Last edited by MTLEADFARMER; 24-07-2016 at 20:46.

I had the same problem with a brno 308 , turned out the stock didnt fit me, could not get to the same position every time when shooting, as yours is a new rifle would check attachment fixings first, as mentioned above, but consider stock fit ,,,,,,is it easy to get on target every time,,, or do you have to faf about, if so maybe a cheeck piece will help you, or a visit to a range with shooting instructers may help to point out the problem
    hope you get this sorted
    Cheers
    Ray

I've found if cheek weld is the issue then it results in bad grouping, rather than good groups shifting about. Could you have a similarly competent person try the rifle to take you out of the equation?
    Last edited by Malxwal; 24-07-2016 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Malxwal View Post
    I've found if cheek weld is the issue then it results in bad grouping, rather than good groups shifting about. Could you have a similarly competent person try the rifle to take you out of the equation?
    I've found this with no cheek weld, but an inconsistently placed cheek weld (different spot for each group) will shuffle groups. I agree though, have someone else try it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I've found this with no cheek weld, but an inconsistently placed cheek weld (different spot for each group) will shuffle groups. I agree though, have someone else try it.~Muir
    +1

Going back and re-shooting could mean you're placing your cheek on a slightly different position each time which can affect parallax or image centre, throwing rounds off from the initial group. Try placing rounds next to you, allowing a few minutes between each and fire a 6 to 9 shot group without altering cheek position if possible. You need to be lining your eye up in exactly the same spot each time for consistency in grouping. I recently ruined some groups fired in a friendly competition by shifting cheek position unknowingly which threw the groups off by 3/4 inch at 100 yards. Of course, this implies that you've already checked bedding screws and scope fixings. If initial groups are spot on, then I doubt it would be the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Msdt601119 View Post
    I had the same problem with a Tikka T3 Lite in .308. I used to allow it to cool for 15 mins. between shots, which helped but the problem was always there and it always irritated me until I sold it.

If after checking the scope, its not you etc. and you can, send the rifle back and get a refund - I wish I could have done so with my Tikka T3 in .308. It is very disappointing to get this problem after buying a brand new rifle.

There are many rifles that do not significantly shoot in a different place hot or cold, try and find one, it is worth it.

I have had in the past a Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5 x 55 Swedish and a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Win. both of which held zero or near enough, hot or cold. It is not necessarily the make that has the problem, it can be just the rifle.
    Last edited by brunel-999; 25-07-2016 at 07:18. Reason: To delete double quote

We are talking about low price stalking rifles here ie Howa and Tikka t3 lite, the tikka is particularly designed for single shot shooting ,( that's all it takes to kill game) the flitted barrel is to save weight not aid cooling, curious why are you shooting 40 rounds in 2hrs, stalking rifles will normally be shot cold, I would say your problem is as much familiarity with your rifle as anything else, a rifle should come up like part of your arm. Remember most rifles will shoot better if you do your part.