Thread: Picatinny rail steel vs aluminium

Picatinny rail steel vs aluminium

Is there any practical difference between the Recknagel aluminium picatinny rail and the Contessa steel rail for a Tikka T3 in .243?

Apart from the obvious Contessa rail being slightly heavier and stronger and 20 more but is this actually relevant on a 243 with low recoil?

It would be for mounting a day scope and a Yukon Photon in Leupold QRW mounts so a reliable return to zero is the most important factor.

I'd go with steel if you are going to be changing a lot. Have seen small deformities on aluminum from normal handling that will throw off zero.

Quote Originally Posted by MTLEADFARMER View Post
    I'd go with steel if you are going to be changing a lot. Have seen small deformities on aluminum from normal handling that will throw off zero.
    Agreed. Unless you are taking the scope on and off repeatedly I cannot see the advantage of a heavier steel rail on a hunting rifle. Looks maybe?

Weight difference is about 75grams and they look the same. The Contessa does have a recoil lug fitted. It probably would get swapped over a fair bit in the winter due to longer nights and more foxing.

Both my T3s have the lugged steel Contessa rails for day / night swap primarily but also zero retention when cleaning with the scope off.

As noted above, the aluminium can get chewed but the worst thing I have found has been when it's less than the right dimensions: I assume cast crap but I use steel only since.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingsnake View Post
    Both my T3s have the lugged steel Contessa rails for day / night swap primarily but also zero retention when cleaning with the scope off.

As noted above, the aluminium can get chewed but the worst thing I have found has been when it's less than the right dimensions: I assume cast crap but I use steel only since.
    Ditto, no comparison, negligible weight difference, however the steel will win hands down on strength and endurance against aluminium. deerwarden