Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: S+B Zenith flashdot reticles

  1. #1

    S+B Zenith flashdot reticles

    Here's a question for anyone who has - or is familiar with - the Zenith with flashdot reticle.

    Taking as an example the FD7 reticle: are the crosshairs identical in thickness to a standard S+B A7 non-illuminated reticle, or are they finer?

    What I'm interested in knowing is: if the flashdot was turned off, or if the battery was exhausted, would the scope still have the same heavy crosshairs as a regular non-illuminated S&B, or not?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    The FD7 is much finer than No4 or 8 in a classic non illuminated. If I remember right around 5mm thick at 100m
    Very fine at low magnification. Doesn't change with illumination except that the red dot appears.
    edi

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    The FD7 is much finer than No4 or 8 in a classic non illuminated. If I remember right around 5mm thick at 100m
    Very fine at low magnification. Doesn't change with illumination except that the red dot appears.
    edi
    Ditto, I have this scope..

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    The FD7 is much finer than No4 or 8 in a classic non illuminated. If I remember right around 5mm thick at 100m
    Very fine at low magnification. Doesn't change with illumination except that the red dot appears.
    edi
    Thanks lads, that anwers that then!

  5. #5
    great scope and if you do exhaust the battery hey presto there is a spare under the turretcap oh and it turns its self off after 6 hrs anyhow
    Norma

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    great scope and if you do exhaust the battery hey presto there is a spare under the turretcap oh and it turns its self off after 6 hrs anyhow
    Norma
    Yes, the flashdot is supposed to be amazing for fast target acquisition in darker conditions.

    But there's also a very big price difference (as compared to a s/h classic, which I'm currently looking for), and I just don't like the idea of the reticle being too fine if, for whatever reason, the electrics go.

  7. #7
    I wouldn't say the reticule is too fine, its fine enough for longer range vermin work but its very useable. Its a first focal plane scope so the reticule grows with the magnification. So at max magnification the thicker sections of the cross 'come in' which should help. I have never found it to be a problem when using it in low light, but then the quality of the glass is excellent.

    Just looked at the manual and on my 3-12 the thick posts are 6.7cm at 100m and the thin wire is 6.7mm at 100m the gap between the posts (length of the thin wire) is 1.4m@100m, because its a first focal plane scope these figures are valid at any magnification.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    I wouldn't say the reticule is too fine, its fine enough for longer range vermin work but its very useable.
    I'd be using the scope purely for deer from about 10 to 200 yards, and one of the things I like about S&B is the relatively thick reticle. So a finer reticle wouldn't be my cup of tea.

    I know the flashdot is brilliant, but if I were splashing that kind of I'd want the scope to be exactly right even should the dot fail.

  9. #9
    In that case I think it will be fine, I don't ever remember not being able to see the cross hairs on mine, and unless I'm night shooting foxes I don't use the fire dot anyway. All deer I have shot with it the FD has been turned off..
    its nice to know it's there though..

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    In that case I think it will be fine, I don't ever remember not being able to see the cross hairs on mine, and unless I'm night shooting foxes I don't use the fire dot anyway. All deer I have shot with it the FD has been turned off..
    its nice to know it's there though..
    Interesting, thanks Tom.

    I'd be using it in fairly rough country, with a lot of thick tangled woods interspersed with more open areas. I suppose that's why I'm such a fan of the heavy S&B reticle: it's clear even with that type of background.

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* S & B Zenith Flashdot
    By EMcC in forum Optics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 16-05-2013, 19:08
  2. Wanted S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 #7 flashdot
    By PKL in forum Optics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 21:55
  3. For Sale Schmidt Bender Zenith FlashDot FD7 Reticle
    By Briarquest in forum Optics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-10-2012, 13:45
  4. *SOLD* Schmidt and Bender 1.5-6x42 Zenith Flashdot
    By tjwaines in forum Optics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 20:22
  5. SCHMIDT & BENDER 3-12 X 50 ZENITH FLASHDOT
    By Briarquest in forum Optics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 13:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •