Thread: Custom classroom saw

Custom Casstrom saw

As you can get replacement casstrom blades on eBay for just 14 I thought I'd have a go at making up a handle and sheath as you can see from the photos the handle is a piece of Corian kitchen worktop which I have split with a saw two thirds of the way through to allow the blade to slide in. The 3 pins are 2mm nickel silver and everything has been Araldited in place.
    You might think that this handle looks quite thin between the fingers but I have taken no steel away from the handle profile it is just that the production handle is larger than the blade by a couple of millimetres all the way around. You can see that I skived a small flap of leather from the inside of the sheath to hide the Sam Brownie stud screw also everything was treated with my beeswax and linseed oil solution after dying. Cheers for looking guys

Last edited by sanibel686; 25-07-2016 at 12:13.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanibel686 View Post
    As you can get replacement casstrom blades on eBay for just 14 I thought I'd have a go at making up a handle and sheath as you can see from the photos the handle is a piece of Corian kitchen worktop which I have split with a saw two thirds of the way through to allow the blade to slide in. The 3 pins are nickel silver and everything has been Araldited in place.
    You might think that this handle looks quite thin between the fingers but I have taken North steal Away From the handle profile it is just that the production handle is larger than the blade by a couple of millimetres all the way around. You can see that I skived a small flap of leather from the inside of the sheath to hide the sun brownie stud screw also everything was treated with my beeswax and linseed oil solution after dying. Cheers for looking guys I'll post pictures when I get back to my computer
    Seem to be missing the photos? Ah, just seen that you're posting them later!

Interested in this as I have both the saw, and a spare, back at home.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    That's a cracking job

I'll have to have a look at the spare blade and see if I could knock up something similar.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Looks cracking, great work.