Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Basket Query

Trail Basket Query

Does anyone know if these baskets which fit onto a towing ball may legally be used on the road?

Can't imagine why they wouldn't be legal. I have a towball mounted Thule bike rack that projects rear wards about the same distance if not more and that's totally legal. Just observe the usual requirements of number plate and lights being visible - otherwise use a 20 light board from a towing/caravan outlet.

Thanks. I ask because I saw one advertised as a road legal model which seemed to imply that others are not. I suppose they wouldn't be much use except on estates otherwise!

I have made a clip on number plate for mine to use when on the road but I do not use a lighting board as my lights are above the basket (L/R Discovery)
    Perhaps if mounted on a normal road vehicle the number plate and lights may be obscured so the one you saw advertised may have a fixed lighting board.

Please be aware that it will not be the Road Traffic Act that you have to worry about if you start to drip blood.............

And I can imagine you'd leave yourself wide open to abuse from any antis getting a glimpse of the basket contents, too (should it be used to transport deer, of course). And with your number plate in full view that wouldn't be a recipe for a peaceful life, regardless of the legality of it
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    And I can imagine you'd leave yourself wide open to abuse from any antis getting a glimpse of the basket contents, too (should it be used to transport deer, of course). And with your number plate in full view that wouldn't be a recipe for a peaceful life, regardless of the legality of it

For up to fallow sized animals a couple of these will probably do the job.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/waterpro...d_8282738.html

Attachment 72628
    Anything larger and you'll need a tarp cover at least and maybe a bespoke 'under and over' cover

Quote Originally Posted by dvbookshop View Post
    Does anyone know if these baskets which fit onto a towing ball may legally be used on the road?
    That will depend on;
    1) How far they extend beyond the back of the vehicle.
    2) The weight that is exerted on the tow hitch.
    3) What arrangements you have made as regards lighting and number plate.

It all comes down to motor vehicle construction and use regulations.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I use a Heckpack and have fitted light board and number plate and have not had any problems from the boys in blue