Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass gun safes fronted. Thoughts ?

Glass gun safes fronted. Thoughts ?

As above will shortly be moving into my first owned house and have one room spare which I am going to turn into my man cave. I have always coveted a Glass fronted gun safe but the sensible part of me thinks that whilst it would look nice for the cost and fact guns always on show may probably not be worth it. What are other peoples thoughts? Does anyone have one?

As long as you meet the security requirements then you can have your guns hanging on the wall if you so desire.

If you've met those requirements, then why not if it's what you want?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

As Woodsmoke said, its achievable. You would most likely need to create a strong-room akin to minor armoury standard. Creating a strong-room could have implications for door, window, walls, ceiling and floor, depending upon construction/position within your house.
    Probably rather expensive. Have a look at the Home Office security guidance and have a chat with your local firearms licensing unit, before making a decision.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

It can be done as in you could have a large gun cabinet with a glass insert in the door so you can see inside

the safe would have to be upto gun safe standard and the glass would have to be an armoured / bullet proof sheet of glass for security of the cabinet unless the room it's kept in had extra security like a strong steel door , gun room standard etc in which case you could probably just use normal toughened glass

Eley in Birmingham did exactley this in there reception as the public / visitors pass thru they have a very very big custom built gun safe with bullet proof glass on the front and sides with lights in as a presentation piece all the shotguns are licenced and working and worth a small fortune perdey , Holland and Holland etc

so yes it can be done
    Last edited by Markfox; 26-07-2016 at 20:06.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    the safe would have to be upto gun safe standard and the glass would have to be an armoured / bullet proof sheet of glass
    Not necessarily, I'm sure? If the guns were to be secured to the fabric of the building with steel cable through the trigger guards (for example), and the room access secured (no windows, one secure entry door, for instance) then that would be sufficient to pass muster, I'd imagine. Most of the gunshops I visit have racks of guns (out of sight of the main windows, of course), but all secured with steel cable and a padlock, and one main entry door to the shop.

It needn't cost a fortune. However, best thing would be to have a chat with your local department guys. At the end of the day, if you can make them happy you're onto a winner
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I have one here with a steel bar that runs across the centre of the guns (14) and the glass is normal glass,

normal door on the room

the room is alarmed and has cctv. other than that all ok with the boss.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Was thinking something like this. They seem to be ASTRONOMICALLY expensive though all things considered. I am not sure how they can justify the 5k+ price tag.... It was the same with gun drawers for the car.

After all my initial idea was to buy a large cabinet then have the door replaced with one containing security glass such as this. I sent a few emails to the fabricators and see what they come up with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panzerglasschrank_07.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	72671

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Was thinking something like this. They seem to be ASTRONOMICALLY expensive though all things considered. I am not sure how they can justify the 5k+ price tag.... It was the same with gun drawers for the car.

After all my initial idea was to buy a large cabinet then have the door replaced with one containing security glass such as this. I sent a few emails to the fabricators and see what they come up with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panzerglasschrank_07.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	72671

If you can get the right glass I don't see any reason it can't be added to a normal cabinet, but it wouldn't look great due to lock position etc.

Good luch with the venture.

I bid at Holts from time to time, when I've got the money.

This glass display cabinet arrived in the unbid Lots from last month's sale. It would go nicely in a strongroom. Any good?

Full Details for Lot 4350A
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.