Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highlands Wi Fi and mobile reception.

Highlands Wi Fi and mobile reception.

The tour of the Highlands begins in just over a month. We spend a fair bit of time up on Exmoor and the Wi Fi and mobile reception is almost non existent which begs me to ask the question what the reception is like in the mountainous regions of the Highlands? I`m talking from Dundee through Blair Athol to Inverness to Lochinver and down the West Coast Islands.
    It doesn`t particularly bother me but you know what Mothers can be like if her kids can`t contact her or she can`t speak to the Grand kids!
    Thanks in advance.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I'm with vodafone on mobile and good signal up highlands only short no signal area on A9 around Dalwhinnie to Newtonmore.

I use the iPad on t mobile 3G while in highlands it works fine.

Generally speaking, if you are stopping in towns and using main roads, things won't be too bad although there will be black spots. Go off the beaten track a bit, especially in hilly/mountainous terrain, getting a signal will be a bit more of an adventure I'd say.

Like Pedro says near the town's you'll be ok, but as soon as you head for the hills bit of a hit or a miss. My mobile must be 80% of the time with no signal, probably not a bad thing!

I wouldnt worry about it mate, I have been some seriously weird and wonderful places and had 4G, yet had no signal in my house in Inverness...

Yes just about sums it up... Vodafone used to have the edge but not convinced these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cawdor118 View Post
    I wouldnt worry about it mate, I have been some seriously weird and wonderful places and had 4G, yet had no signal in my house in Inverness...

Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    Yes just about sums it up... Vodafone used to have the edge but not convinced these days.

I went to EE for there self proclaimed "faster than 4G"... But in all honesty Vodaphone were better in more usable places.

Ever seen the film local hero? Rural scotland is just like that, you ve to use a red phonebox if you want to call anyone, and fight your way past the local sheep.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I travel the world for my job. By and large I can get a 3G or 4G signal pretty much anywhere from Eastern Europe to sub-Saharan Africa, but I still can't get a reliable signal in a lot of Oxfordshire!

In Sutherland we've had satellite broadband at the lodge we rent for the last four or five years, but go beyond there and the signal is patchy at best. In July I couldn't get a 3G signal North of Inverness.

After a day of withdrawal symptoms I actually quite liked it
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Just back from a week on Arran & I wasn't really able to use the (Voda)phone for anything other than e-mails & texts, which would eventually send or drop in. Just get used to checking/calling when you're by cities, at tops of hills or in cafes/pubs with wi/fi & enjoy how liberating it is not to be a slave to the damn thing!