Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Mark Avery' and John Swift

  1. #1

    Mark Avery' and John Swift

    John Swift has made a statement on Mark Avery's blog saying the government got it wrong by not banning lead ammunition. As a BASC member for 30 years, I feel a little bit cheesed off that the man whose salary I helped pay is now acting against the wishes of the majority of those he was employed to represent. If you feel the same, Google 'Mark Avery's blog' and hit the 'dislike' option at the bottom. Might not do any good, but it feels good!

  2. #2
    Just like to ask how did basc let this man become their boss

  3. #3
    Maybe Swift is a man of conviction and truly believes it is not a good idea to eat meat containing a very toxic metal.

    I dismissed their attitudes to lead, but one thing did hit home, the micro sized pieces of lead left in the meat around the impact of a bullet especially when it hits bone. With any deer I home process I mince all the fore quarters after trimming off the obviously damaged tissue. After reading up a little about lead fragments and the associated toxicity, will I feed my 8 month son my home produced venison mince now....no way...not worth the risk to his health and development. I will wait until he is considerably older and he can have the good cuts from well away from the bullet strike.

  4. #4
    Can anyone actually produce a document , medical or otherwise that shows that lead ingested thru shot game gives lead poisoning ?

    How many decades have we had folk eaten lead shot fur n feather & some of them are quite old now .

    Has there been such a case ?


    Paul

  5. #5
    If he truly believes what he has written then good on him for speaking out. Paul there are many things that cannot be proved like poaching round Glasgow. I am sure every one on this site believes there are deer poachers out there yet there have been no convictions for it in Glasgow for many many years. (Are we just imagining it?)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Can anyone actually produce a document , medical or otherwise that shows that lead ingested thru shot game gives lead poisoning ?

    How many decades have we had folk eaten lead shot fur n feather & some of them are quite old now .

    Has there been such a case ?


    Paul
    the simple answer is no, strangely I had a similar conversation with a major water company about lead pipes, as most people will know lead pipes were removed from most private dwellings , but amazingly there are thousands of lead pipes still being used to supply those dwellings.
    So mud an you may want to contact your water supplier to check if there are any lead water pipes in there system

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    John Swift has made a statement on Mark Avery's blog saying the government got it wrong by not banning lead ammunition. As a BASC member for 30 years, I feel a little bit cheesed off that the man whose salary I helped pay is now acting against the wishes of the majority of those he was employed to represent. If you feel the same, Google 'Mark Avery's blog' and hit the 'dislike' option at the bottom. Might not do any good, but it feels good!
    I totally agree.

    This is not the first time that Mr Swift has aligned himself with the antis, during the passage of the Hunting Act he spoke out in support of Alun Michael.

  8. #8
    Thing is lead is almost insoluble in cold water. The big change was to hot water systems, and the reason we were taught, when we were small, not to drink out of the hot water tap.

    David.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Thing is lead is almost insoluble in cold water. The big change was to hot water systems, and the reason we were taught, when we were small, not to drink out of the hot water tap.

    David.
    You were lucky to have a hot water tap, ours came from a well (later condemned by water authority) until I was eighteen. It came via a pump (hand operated) with both lead and iron pipework. Heading for my eighties I don't think it did me too much harm.
    With regards to Swift, having met him a few times whilst he was at BASC I certainly wouldn't have much to do with the man, particularly after his stance on hunting.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

    Keep the Faith.

  10. #10
    By the way if we all "dislike" this blog and comment it might be a good idea.

    David.

Similar Threads

  1. John Swift - working for whom?
    By kes in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-12-2015, 21:09
  2. .220 Swift AI
    By Coolhand in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 17-05-2015, 23:30
  3. *SOLD* Avery greenhead gear boater's dog vest
    By woollyback in forum Dogs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 16:18
  4. Wanted .220 swift,
    By AndrewT059 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 20:39
  5. For Sale Avery Power Hunter Gun Sling -brand new 16 posted
    By daw in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-07-2011, 12:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •