Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge or Drinks Chiller

Fridge or Drinks Chiller

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to buy a chiller to hang roe deer. New to stalking and don't know if I should go for a tall fridge or drinks chiller. Fridges seem to be much cheaper but need advice on dimensions, efficiency etc. Many thanks.

eBay can be your friend - often some decent priced drinks chillers on there.

General consensus is that a commercial fridge with fan or drinks chiller (which generally always have fans) are best as they help circulate the air and cool the carcass more effectively. I've got a full height commercial fridge with a fan which seems to work fine. Only issue I had once was a large fallow doe which was wet when I put in (shot in rain) and left it in too long without opening the door and it went a touch mouldy. I now ensure they're as dry as possible before putting in the fridge, leave an old dry newspaper in the bottom (soaks up any excess moisture in the air - have heard of people putting a layer of clean animal sawdust bedding in for same reason) and open the door every couple of days to change the air.

Air flow is the important factor between fridges and chillers. I was lucky to pick up a nice big upright fridge but with a fan inside to keep the air moving for 50 off a friend.

I bought a Bosch tall larder fridge off fleabay - I paid 67 - took me a while to source one close by - it has a small top fan which comes on when it is in chill mode rather than being constant - I open the fridge every day to avoid humidity build up - no problems with muntjac storage so far, the fillets are still fine after a week and no sign of mould. It will easily take a roe too. I always wash down with a thin bleach solution between each carcass. Dimensions wise the fridge is a bit over 5 ft tall. This one is similar Bosch Larder Fridge KSR34465GB | eBay

By a fridge and put a fan in it, it's that simple. Skeleton fan motor 20 quid. There is your airflow.

+1 on the larder fridges, got two hotpoint ones with internal hanging frames, mains fans, air vents in front door, remote temp indicators off Ebay - job done. Can lift out the hanging frames and slot sleeves in to use as extra fridge storage too and for when butchering and storing meat prior to wrapping and freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbshooting View Post
    +1 on the larder fridges, got two hotpoint ones with internal hanging frames, mains fans, air vents in front door, remote temp indicators off Ebay - job done. Can lift out the hanging frames and slot sleeves in to use as extra fridge storage too and for when butchering and storing meat prior to wrapping and freezing.
    Could you post a few pictures?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010951.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	72784

This is my old Electrolux food chiller, which I bought locally for less than 100 (8 years ago). As you can see the metal rack will support the weight of two fallow. I have had to buy some smaller S hooks and gambrels that are less deep so the deer have enough space underneath for a black plastic drip tray.

I have recently had to have a new motor and a re-gassing which was quite pricey, but the chiller itself is awesome.

I did make a home made version from a pepsi drinks chiller, but there is no comparison in performance, the Electrolux has a variable temperature control, an auto- de-frost and a very strong internal hanging system. They are worth looking for, although they do take some moving!

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by RabHaw View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to buy a chiller to hang roe deer. New to stalking and don't know if I should go for a tall fridge or drinks chiller. Fridges seem to be much cheaper but need advice on dimensions, efficiency etc. Many thanks.
    I've had experience of several Coca Cola type models, myself and with others and after several years I've bitten the bullet and bought a German Landvig
    Wish I'd done so ages ago. The cost is something I'm seeking counselling for but the vastly improved quality of the carcasses due to humidity control and air flow is extremely impressive

Think I've been lucky , I have had a double door Coke fridge near 10 years now and going strong , my dad got some stainless & welded up H- frame out of flat bar that picks up the wee holes for the racking ....had three roe no bother ....id be lost without it now

Paul