Thread: Sellier & Bellot premium ammunition

Sellier & Bellot premium ammunition

I handload a lot of ammunition, but buy some not and again, to try a bullet before buying a box of them, or if it is a super deal.

Yesterday, I was driving past a big box store, so I pulled in to check out the powder for my handguns.
    There were two boxes of S&B I had never seen before, in .30-06 - one with 180-gr Nosler Partition, the other with 180-gr copper RN with a round polymer tip. Both were $20.00 a box of 20, which seemed cheap to me, so I bought them. Later, I looked online and saw them and their retail prices. My hair stood up! I have always had good accuracy with S&B, and especially love it when their .303 was $6.00 a box.

Have any of you used this ammo? They also had some in .300 Win Mag (same bullets, same price).

I like their 30-30 ammo. 150 grs soft point.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I handload a lot of ammunition, but buy some not and again, to try a bullet before buying a box of them, or if it is a super deal.

Yesterday, I was driving past a big box store, so I pulled in to check out the powder for my handguns.
    There were two boxes of S&B I had never seen before, in .30-06 - one with 180-gr Nosler Partition, the other with 180-gr copper RN with a round polymer tip. Both were $20.00 a box of 20, which seemed cheap to me, so I bought them. Later, I looked online and saw them and their retail prices. My hair stood up! I have always had good accuracy with S&B, and especially love it when their .303 was $6.00 a box.

Have any of you used this ammo? They also had some in .300 Win Mag (same bullets, same price).
    I've never seen the ammo, but the Trading Post got in some of their primers and I have been buying them up @ $25/1000. (5 K of each) I have used them in my .223, 222 and 7.62x39 loading, and will continue as the combination works. When I first got them I tried them in my 1895 Winchester 30-06 but didn't give much of a test: 10 shots off hand at 40 yards. The rounds clustered at minute of wobble so they must have worked. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some of the ammo.~Muir

This year I got some 308 S&B ammo with FMJ bullets at a good price for target / plinking. Although it shot good groups it felt "soft" in my Sako 85 & I got sooty cases. I never bothered to chronograph it - I should have!
    It worked fine in a friend's AI tactical beast so I flogged it to him. Not a sooty case in sight. -- Maybe his chamber is a tad tighter throated than mine or summat.
    I suspect the brass was a bit hard & with the soft ignition it wasn't obturating fast enough in my chamber. I have never had sooty cases before or since in any of my 308 rifles, shooting bullets from 125 to 200 grains. Sooo it must have been the S&B.

Ian

I've nearly work my way through the last 1000 .308 S&B fmj rounds i bought. The ones i bought before this thousand were 147grn and shot well but this last thousand are 127grn as S&B have changed the bullet weight. The 127 grn don't shoot anywhere near as good as the 147grn in my rifle. So i bought 1500 147grn S&B fmg bullets ( cheap as chips) and reload with 41grns of Norma 201.
    Now the rifle shoots well again. Only reloaded the S&B case once so far so it will be interesting to see how many times they can be reloaded. No sooty cases when fired in my rifle

I've used quite a lot of S&B primers, very consistent

As for their brass, I was given a lot of genuine once fired S&B 308, fully prepped and reloaded them and even annealed them, moderate load of 41gr of N140 and a 168gr Nosler CC bullet, had 4 split necks out of the first 50 so chucked them all
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    I've used quite a lot of S&B primers, very consistent

As for their brass, I was given a lot of genuine once fired S&B 308, fully prepped and reloaded them and even annealed them, moderate load of 41gr of N140 and a 168gr Nosler CC bullet, had 4 split necks out of the first 50 so chucked them all
    S & B are famous for splitting reloaded cases especially in pistol calibres, it's down to the actual make up of the brass they use, too much zinc.

I have had good luck reloading 7x57R and .303 Enfield brass, but those are relative low power loads.

This particular ammunition caught my eye because the ammo as almost as cheap as just the bullets alone. I did learn that the solid copper bullets don't have a polymer tip, but an aluminum tip, like the old Remington Bronze Point, which was a long range spritzer boattail bullet. The loads are about 50 to 100 fps slower than most factory ammo for this weight, 2,600 to 2,650 fps for 180-gr.

And with the right powder and rifle, a .30-06 can safely and accurately push a 180-gr bullet at 2,850 fps, on the heels of a normal .300 H&H load.
    Last edited by Southern; 28-07-2016 at 14:57.