View Poll Results: Should training be law?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

24 33.80%
  • no

47 66.20%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should DMQ 1 be law?

Should DMQ 1 be law?

I have a mate that shoots at eyes and usually wounds, he doesn't observe seasons as the farmers says to shoot the roe on a newly planted Xmas tree buisness that has paying stalkers visit. He shoots at night and knows nothing of deer welfare or mangement. He pays 500 a year into a syndicate that hasn't a gun in it worth of owning a shotgun. He uses a Finnlght .222 that kicks like a mule and spits bullets all over the paper, i can't zero it!! He is a perfect case for imposing some sort of training before being allowed a firearm. I have been called out my bed on a few occasions to humanely despatch roe that has run on...
    Last edited by RED-DOT; 20-06-2010 at 16:03.

This has got to be a wind up - nobody has mates like that. After all we are all judged by the company that we keep.
    DMQ has no bearing on it, someone like that just shouldn't have a certificate , no arguement about it.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry have gots rifles down here. Subsequently a lot of poaching goes on and people are ruining everyone elses management of deer. An ongoing thing round here, where we are lucky to have probably the worlds 2nd best popualtion of Jap Sika, is people shooting all the big stags. Someone gets a good farm and shoots the hell out of the stags purely for the wonga. A recent thing last rut was a chap had 3 people out on a Saturday/Sunday and they managed 21 decent stags between them from 6 am till 7pm! Left alone it would take a few good years to recover but as he still has the ground it is sad to say it never will.
    Last edited by sako85; 20-06-2010 at 16:30. Reason: left a day out

I am with BASC on this. It should not be compulsory. If your "mate" is night shooting without a license, he should lose his FAC. If he is perpetually wounding deer, you should have a quiet word in his shell like orifice and teach him the error of his ways. If he won't listen I bet his FEO would.

ft

Edit; "He uses a Finnlght .222 that kicks like a mule and spits bullets all over the paper"? A triple 2 that kicks??????? You jest, surely............................................ .
    Last edited by flytie; 20-06-2010 at 18:21. Reason: Re-reading twaddle
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

He uses a Finnlght .222 that kicks like a mule and spits bullets all over the paper, i can't zero it!!
    Jackanory, Jackanory, that's a story!................. maybe he's shooting .224 thru it?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I have a mate that shoots at eyes and usually wounds, he doesn't observe seasons as the farmers says to shoot the roe on a newly planted Xmas tree buisness that has paying stalkers visit. He shoots at night and knows nothing of deer welfare or mangement. He pays 500 a year into a syndicate that hasn't a gun in it worth of owning a shotgun. He uses a Finnlght .222 that kicks like a mule and spits bullets all over the paper, i can't zero it!! He is a perfect case for imposing some sort of training before being allowed a firearm. I have been called out my bed on a few occasions to humanely despatch roe that has run on...
    What difference is a DMQ going to make to your mate and others like him/her? A DMQ will not stop that, the rifle could be acquired for fox shooting for example. Therefore bypassing the deer issue. They could then contimue with their illegal shootings.

It's a shame when the good majority are hindered by the wreckless few and all the paper work that ensues in attempting to control them.

I fear for the future where too many people are pushed down the DMQ route. I do not have a formal certificate and have not needed one. The only reason I'm looking into getting a certificate is to get my name down on a stalking lease in the future.

DMQ/DSC are excellent, from what I can see. But I do not believe that they should be compulsory.

Good post DC my opinion get your self a new mate.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    i sympathise with you, i live 20 miles south of you and have experienced a similar standard by experienced local guns.
    i did my level one and now starting level two.
    it wont make a difference to make anything law as if your bad your bad and thats it.

i voted yes...

f.

A Finlight in .222!

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    i sympathise with you, i live 20 miles south of you and have experienced a similar standard by experienced local guns.
    i did my level one and now starting level two.
    it wont make a difference to make anything law as if your bad your bad and thats it.

i voted yes...

f.
    centralbeltstalker,

Definaltely not a dig... however... why yes if you agree that if you're bad you're bad? Would there be a tanjible benefit?

Thanks,

DC