Thread: Dropped a fox while on my high seat

Dropped a fox while on my high seat

Hi,
    I was waiting for a buck or boar to show last night and instead out at last light came a young fox which I shot at 25m from my drillings insert barrel in .17 Rem / 20 grains it ran 25m into the woods with no sign of being hit and I found no blood on the felled trees where it was standing as I took the shot, but I found it this morning stone cold with a lowish forward chest shot with an exit hole too.
    Marty

Do you know, I have only ever shot foxes from a high seat, always while out for deer! Strange fact.

Well done. Foxes are the only mammal where I have almost no compunction about taking the shot.

H.

ps That does not mean I disrespect them. They are superb little hunter/killers.

i enjoy shooting foxes from high seats.The bonus is you get a result and dont have to gralloch

Ain"t that the truth.
    Two nights later on the same high seat up pops a young badger looking for bugs to eat I enjoyed watching it for 20 minutes before it waddled off. Here in Germany they have a season for shooting them but it"s not yet, the meat can be smoked (I think) into dachsschinken (kinda like hams) and the fat is supposed to relieve reumatic pains.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    Ain"t that the truth.
    Two nights later on the same high seat up pops a young badger looking for bugs to eat I enjoyed watching it for 20 minutes before it waddled off. Here in Germany they have a season for shooting them but it"s not yet, the meat can be smoked (I think) into dachsschinken (kinda like hams) and the fat is supposed to relieve reumatic pains.
    Martin
    Many, many years ago, when I lived on the edge of Bracknell, I became friendly with a long retired gardener who used to be employed at Southill Park, a modest country home that had been bought by the council and turned into an arts centre. The old boy lived - camped - in an old potting shed, and ate roadkill meat, with veg he grew very expertly on a tiny but incredibly productive adjacent plot. I once tried some badger haunch he had roasted in a dutch oven, and I have to say it was quite exceptional. Commuters hurtling past on the B3430, regularly mowing down local wildlife from squirrels upwards, meant he never had to wander far to find something interesting and sustaining.
    Last edited by KevinF; 29-06-2010 at 10:59.
    KevinF -

Badger fat? Better than Vicks Vapour Rub for curing colds.....although it does get a bit whiffy once it's been on for a few days.

Must make you attractive to other badgers though.
    He has not been back since but a nice full bodied roe doe was munching for an hour ca. 50m away and did not wind me "love stalking and wish I had discovered stalking when I was a teenager rather than a 40yo".
    Martin

guten auben Martin good to here your getting out,thanks for the binos you sent through they came in very handy in france thanks very much for the deal. Regards Will

Hi Will,
    Glad to hear they arrived OK.
    The roes here are now not moving about until it is too dark to ID them I reckon due to farmers running their big equipment with daylight beams on the cab roofs. Buggers up the high seat work, I do not have a cooler yet so maybe it is as well.
    Got no mossies yet which surprises me too.
    Martin