Thread: Merkel Helix

Merkel Helix

What sorts of groups are you getting with factory. Just tried some 130r for my .270 and was a 2 inch group !!!!! which is shocking.
    Has anyone else had any problems?????
    Hunting isn't just something I do it's part of who I am

.243 Sako 100g Gamehead give me just under an inch @ 100 meters - 58g Hornady are half inch @ 100 meters - 95g Hornady were just over an 2 inches at 100! You need to find what works with factory ammo I've found (I'm also not the best from the bench and shoot better sitting or standing from
    sticks
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate hunter View Post
    What sorts of groups are you getting with factory. Just tried some 130r for my .270 and was a 2 inch group !!!!! which is shocking.
    Why do people blame a rifle for not liking a particular brand of factory ammunition, when ammunition for a given calibre, even of the same weight, can vary so dramatically !

My Helix 7x64 hates Winchester, but loves RWS, and Geco. My 9.3x74 SBS is regulated for Norma Oryx 285g, but loves Geco 255g.

I'd be more shocked if every type of rifle, liked every type of ammunition !

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate hunter View Post
    A fellow rifle club member has two Helix rifles, one in .243win the other in .308win. The first time he tried the .308win from the bench the best he could achieve was a three shot group of around one and a half to one and three quarters of an inch, he was not impressed. In fact you could probably describe his mood as sullen. A couple of weeks ago he was back but with a different load and he was shooting half inch groups with the same rifle and equal to the results he had been getting from his Blaser rifle.

I may be entirely wrong but I believe that he was shooting Norma ballistic tip ammunition the first time and Gecco the second. He doesn't reload.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

My Helix will shoot a ragged single hole group with federal or home loads, but hates hornady. My last Sako was exactly the same.

Things what I have learnt since I got my own rifle - Ammo is weird!

I figured I'd get a decent brand of ammo to try to begin with in my S&L so I picked up some Norma .308 150gr and the rifle hated it. The group was about 4".

So I tried a couple of others and ultimately settled on Federal Power Shok in 150gr and that gives me about a 1" group at 100x. And frankly that 1" was me shooting off a backpack lying in a field so I reckon I can get it to cloverleaf when I get onto Short Siberia.

Incidentally there is also a huge variety of opinions from RFD's about what ammo you "should" use. I took the Norma and GECO I didnt want back to one of my local RFD's to swap for Federal and the guy behind the counter (who I think was new as I hadnt seen him before) said "Oh thats weird, it must be the rifle. I usually try Norma and if that doesnt work I chuck the rifle away".

Err... No.

So yes - try a few different brands and see what your rifle likes! I need to try Hornady SST's and the SAKO Hammerhead at some point to see how those stack up.