Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-Tec Hertz options

A-Tec Hertz options

I have just ordered an A-tec Hertz for my .308 that's easy enough.

Now I am looking to order a second for my .243 but I can't find any information on calibre options except from a German website. The only options were

.22/5.56
    7mm
    .308/7.62
    8mm

would my only option be to run a 7mm on my .243? I would prefer to have a calibre specific mod.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

The Hertz is being phased in to replace the Maxim - which too many people were taking apart etc. The initial data specs I've had from Jackson Rifles imply similar to the Maxim - upto 6.5 cal and 30 cal. Which I agree doesn't tally with the slightly vague ATEC webpage.

I'd go to the horses mouth ( no offence Peter! ) and give Jacksons a bell direct - they'll steer you right.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

The last time I asked Jacksons didn't bring in all the calibre specific models and just had the up to 22,6.5 and 30 cal Dave

Can't you just use the .308 for both ?

seeing as you would have two mods identicle but with different hole diameters could that be a recipe for disaster

all the above is not relevant if they are different threads tho lol

Thanks for the replies gents.

At the minute I would prefer the .243 to have as small baffle stack as possible for best sound suppression.

The .243 and .308 are being shortened so I will be choosing the thread.

However I have a 7x64 that is already threaded 1/2" due to the barrel profile that also need a mod for.

I will not thread a .308 1/2" because it leaves so little left on the threaded portion of barrel. Therefore at risk of damage.

I think the best way forward is to talk to jacksons. I can see the .243 going 1/2" to save buying a third mod. I can sacrifice a few DB.

Just to update this thread. I bought a .30 cal mod to use on both the .243 and .308 after I gave myself a good talking to.

At the end of the day the difference is minimal. What I can say is I am very happy with the choice of moderator. Sound suppression is excellent and the weight or should I say lack of weight is astounding when I compare it to the jet-z I have been used to.

My blaser R93 with this moderator fitted is only an inch longer than my old rifle with no mod attached. I'm still getting used to the Blaser but I know one thing for sure the mod is staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    The Hertz is being phased in to replace the Maxim - which too many people were taking apart etc. The initial data specs I've had from Jackson Rifles imply similar to the Maxim - upto 6.5 cal and 30 cal. Which I agree doesn't tally with the slightly vague ATEC webpage.

I'd go to the horses mouth ( no offence Peter! ) and give Jacksons a bell direct - they'll steer you right.
    As you well know, the Maxim was designed to come apart because it could have extra length added, despite the warning sticker on the box invalidating the guarantee if attempted.
    I fitted a Hertz the other day,it is certainly very light. The question I would be asking is, how many rounds is it guaranteed.
    Some of the Maxims did not cut the mustard with heavy use, but were great little mods for light use as in stalking. I would think the Hertz would play a similar roll. Keep the Jet Z and T8 type mods for range work. Just my opinion for what it's worth..john

what material are the baffles made from on the Hertz?

Dave

Just bought a A-Tec Hertz 87 for my 223. Very light and when testing it out was pleased with the attenuation effects for such a light moderator. Scarcely noticed the weight when mounted on the barrel.

Have to thank Tom Young of Continental Shooting for pushing to get a non-stocked item as quickly and without silly extra postage costs as he did.

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    what material are the baffles made from on the Hertz?

Dave

To answer my own question they are stainless