Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ballistic tip horrors

ballistic tip horrors

Am i the only person in the world who hates ballistic tip bullets?A few reasons why.
    Had a guest shoot a stag broadside on at 100m,we were slightly above beast,stag was roaring when the guest shot.To my horror i saw the beasts jaw shatter,told the guest he`d broke the jaw and to shoot again when he got a chance,stag ran round a v large rock staggered and fell, to my surprise the deer then expired.Asked the guest if he had shot it in the shoulder and he said he had and it had felt good. When we went down to the beast we foun d that the shot had gone in slightly high on the shoulder ,couldn`t find an exit wound on the opposite side but the lower jaw was in bits.Back in the larder it became clear that the bullet had gone through the shoulder into the base of the lung and then travelled up beside the windpipe and exited through lower jaw,changing direction 90 degrees en route.Bullet was 150 gr bt.
    Over the years i have shot, and have seen shot many thousand deer but on more than one occasion i have been almost fooled into thinking deer that had been shot properly,had in fact been missed,all because of a lack of reaction to the shot,and on closer inspection the wounds inevitably had a pinhole entry AND exitQuite obvious to me unless bullet hit a rib on entry it was failing to expand as well as a normal softpoint.So I`m not a lover of bt ammo.

Battle bonnet firmly tied in place

Hummel

150gn 30 cal’ bullet?

I saw a stag shot though the ribs with a 308, but it went the other way and exited out its back leg.

150gn soft point, though.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by hummel View Post
    Am i the only person in the world who hates ballistic tip bullets?A few reasons why.
    Had a guest shoot a stag broadside on at 100m,we were slightly above beast,stag was roaring when the guest shot.To my horror i saw the beasts jaw shatter,told the guest he`d broke the jaw and to shoot again when he got a chance,stag ran round a v large rock staggered and fell, to my surprise the deer then expired.Asked the guest if he had shot it in the shoulder and he said he had and it had felt good. When we went down to the beast we foun d that the shot had gone in slightly high on the shoulder ,couldn`t find an exit wound on the opposite side but the lower jaw was in bits.Back in the larder it became clear that the bullet had gone through the shoulder into the base of the lung and then travelled up beside the windpipe and exited through lower jaw,changing direction 90 degrees en route.Bullet was 150 gr bt.
    Over the years i have shot, and have seen shot many thousand deer but on more than one occasion i have been almost fooled into thinking deer that had been shot properly,had in fact been missed,all because of a lack of reaction to the shot,and on closer inspection the wounds inevitably had a pinhole entry AND exitQuite obvious to me unless bullet hit a rib on entry it was failing to expand as well as a normal softpoint.So I`m not a lover of bt ammo.

Battle bonnet firmly tied in place

Hummel
    Any bullet can do as you mention though.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I do not allow any plastic points regardless of make.
    Unless the client is taking the beast home.
    They do kill very well but at the expense of meat damage.
    But I have had soft points fail to expand.
    None are perfect all of the time.
    I would put my money on Nosler partitions everytime.

You are not the only person on here who dislikes them, a certain Yorkshireman who does a bit of roe stalking dislikes them too.

I have seen premium Lapua ammunition do exactly what you say, no expansion on some and over expansion (almost an explosion) internally on some roe, with large portions of the bullet ending up in a back leg. This was from a perfect side on chest shot. The more I see different ammuntion used, the more i think that the odd bad batch of most makes slip through the net more often than we would like.

ft

PS I have a friend who uses nothing else in his 7x64 and he has yet to have anything go wrong with any of them. I had a batch of 140gn RWS that blew huge holes in fallow deer. I sold them on. I now use SST's and think they are marvelous.

Edit, Damn John beat me to it
    Last edited by flytie; 20-06-2010 at 21:39. Reason: Slowness of typing
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

129GR SST.

Shot in the ribs and deer dropped as expected. Entry hole was OK, the exit hole was 4 to 5 inches further back on the same side. No part of the bullet touched the other side of the rib cage................stopped using these beauties

Is it possible that all bullets can do odd things after impact; but that when the odd thing happens when our least-favourite bullet is used, we pay more attention?

This ones going to go on into the wee hours.
    LOL

I had bad results with SST and BTs, damage and some wierd results in terms of bullets changing direction and broadside shots into the lungs exiting through a haunch. Also have seen them overpressure Roe with a good shot through the lungs (bullet not piercing the diaphram) and the stomach pop through the belly.

I am spending a bit more on Accubonds and they are outstanding.

expand in a controlled and predictable manner?? ballistic tips do not!! so i don't use them. i like my meat UN-damaged and i like my fac!!