Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dogs teeth tarta

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

dogs teeth tarta

ok lads,

my wee best pal has had a food change from dry food to soft food (chappie) this is to do with his digestive issues,

now to to aid with his tarta build up I got him a few chew sticks, but they last about 30 seconds and they have gone, I mate has said try a bit of antler he said he will chew it and this will help or at least do some good with the tarta build up.

anyone done this with an older dog (10 human years)

thanks in advance

Bob and cozzy.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Ours get Dentastix which helps keep tartar down. Lots of salt in them though. Raw bones will help too. But to be honest, anything that gets him using his teeth properly will work. Best thing though, is to get him onto a decent raw diet. I don't know of any dog that won't benefit from that
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    My dogs are 8 yr old...NO tartar at all,reason?
    They have chewed on venison bones daily/weekly their whole life.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Blog Entries
    ok lads thank you,

he suffers from pancreatitis so I have to be carful of what he eats, ( our I can find it on the kitchen floor not long after he has eaten it). hence the question of antler as he will not be able to swallow it but chew it with no ill effects,

failng that hat I am a bit stuck

bon
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

many people use antler but for short periods its very hard and can wear enamel away quickly short spells if you do !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    many people use antler but for short periods its very hard and can wear enamel away quickly short spells if you do !
    cheers Norma

i just want to try and get a grip of it without causing him further problems,

bob

Our two spaniels (10 &8) were costing a fortune in chew sticks, etc.. SWMBO asked her son who was a manager of the local Pets At Home what was available. He recommended a dog tooth gel by beaphar. We tried it and within two weeks their teeth were almost entirely clear of plaque and tartar.
    It is very simple to use. Simply rub the gel over the teeth, being flavoured, the dog moves it around its mouth with its tongue. The older dog had some digestive problems requiring surgery some two years ago but that did not prevent the use of the gel. I am most impressed by its performance.

John

The best way to prevent tartar build up on dogs is to avoid giving them soft feed that breaks up easily. it pre wetted dry dog feed. If you have to feed them wet soggy feed then give them something chewy after to clean their teeth naturally such as bone/ raw hide etc. Even carrots would work if they like it.
    A natural diet of meat and bone and skin would prevent tartar build up

dogs teeth tarta

If you can't feed raw
    Just give him a bone from butchers couple times a week ....cleans his teeth gives him bit of marrow & it will keep him occupied for a hour here n there ..

Don't know about old dogs n antlers but I keep all roe antler I shoot & give dog a bit every so often .....again spotless teeth.

Paul

Blog Entries
    cheers guys

just in the Lake District and will get him some later today and see how we get on,

thanks for for all the tips.

bob.