Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nightforce- Just Amazing !!!

Account Suspended

Nightforce- Just Amazing !!!

I was out hunting last night with my Tikka Super Varmint and Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 X 56, I am new to centerfire and after seeing the guy on You-Tube with his incredibly long range hunting shots (1800yds) I decided against the Swaro or Zeis scope and went for the nightfoce instead. Am I glad I did.

I made a drop chart guide in 10m increments and purchased a Nikon 1200 rangefinder to help me range targets accurately and I was away.

The first thing I did was zero the rifle and with Norma 75grain Vmax tipped shells I managed to get 100yd 1" groups. I zero'd my turrets and found a quiet spot in a hedgerow and waited for the foxes and bunnies to show.

The first customer was a bunny at 220yds, I checked my chart, dialled the nightforce and aimed dead center. DEAD BUNNY.

The second customer was a bunny at 50yds. I checked my charts, dialled the nightfoce and aimed dead center. DEAD BUNNY.

This continued all evening with bunnies and crows showing at ranges between 50-450yds and each time the nightforce dialled in every time perfectly.

Just as dusk was upon me charlie showed at 375yds in the opposite hedgerow, I carried out the same scope adjustments with the charts and took the shot. I took charlie with a perfect chest shot, inch perfect as per my aim.

In total I took over 20 bunnies and 1 fox with no misses.

I returned home and cleaned the gun and the following day I returned to the target to check the zero. I reset the nightforce to the previous days settings and tried the gun for accuracy to see if it returned to the previous days accuracy even though I had been dialling the scope up and down the following evening and to my amazment the scope put 3 bullets in a perfect clover leaf on the 15mm bull at 100yds.

Nightforce may not be as clear or bright as zeis or swaro, but I wouldnt swap my nightfoce for any other scope on the market.
    Last edited by csl; 23-06-2010 at 10:52.

Nothing there any Zeiss swaro kahles or schmidt wouldn't do only come the dusk when the light fails and that buck of a lifetime walks out you will then wish you had bought any of the others.
    Regards john.

I can see why you like it. Im now going to bat for the other team (pureley in a scope sense )

When my farther first bought his .223 (a Steyr Prohunter ) he bought a Nightforce becuase its what the chaps who he was doing range work with reccomended it. He bought a 5-22x56 (Might have some of those numbers wrong).

It was wonderous on the range, out to 500m the scope was brilliant. So we decide to go foxing. That particular piece of ground we do not lamp. So me and Dad are sitting up waiting for a fox to appear and its getting pretty dark, I see movement about 150m away up the hedge and Dad pulls the rifle up. Cant see the fox at all. I can see it without any glass - just looking through the scope its black. This happened once more with rabbits and then he sold the scope, bought a Doctor 3-12x56 and has been happy ever since - it isnt such a machine at distance as the NF - but when its starts to go inky black the Doc has it whipped.

I do hope that the above was a freak occurance, but I shall be steering clear of them in the future.

EDIT; My money would be on S&B Police Marksmen (If I had the neccisary granola) for the distance work and dusk, but a 8x56 has coped with everthing I have done out to 300m.

atb

Sam
    Last edited by Sam; 21-06-2010 at 08:54. Reason: Extra opinion goodness
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    Nothing there any Zeiss swaro kahles or schmidt wouldn't do only come the dusk when the light fails and that buck of a lifetime walks out you will then wish you had bought any of the others.
    Regards john.
    i dont have a nightforce but ive looked through them, at dusk. they seem ok to me certainly on a par with my schmidt 6x42 german. he has now got the vital component that you need from your gear, confidence, regardless if its a night force swaro or no name brand.

I have a NSX 3-15X56 on one rifle and a PMII 4-16X50 on another. In comparison to the Schmidt, the Nightforce sight picture is gray and has less contrast. At dusk, it runs out of resolution noticeably before the Schmidt. The glass is inferior, no doubt.
    KevinF -

ive had a nightforce imho brilliant in the daylight but ***** in the lowlight so got rid of it and bought another zeiss job done

I have a NightForce on my 7mm Rem Mag. It has Kenton Industries turrets, graduated in 25 yard increments. It does just what NightForce said it would and I would not change it on that particular rifle (used mainly for African plains game at longer than my normal UK stalking ranges). It returns to the original zero better than any other scope I have had. I also have one Zeiss, one Docter and several Swarovski scopes. Optics on the latter seem to be a little better, especially in low light. NightForce is a little heavier. That said, the correct choice is the one that works for you.

I looked at the NF scopes, and even though they look amazing for range work, perhaps a bit over the top for stalking. I suppose if shooting from a hide or highseat at longer range targets that due to the lie of the land, cannot be stalked or approached, during the day, then great! However, with such a precision scope, you deffo need a precision rifle to match.

I have also looked at (and shot) Zeiss and Swarowski, which are truly awesome for clarity and quality - however, for distance shooting at vermin or targets they simply do not have the turret capability required. I know both 'have' turret models, but only for elevation and not for windage (as far as I have seen). I don't think turrets are their core business, so deffo go for a manufacturer that has it at heart.

If I ever have enough extra cash to spare, I'll be opting for the S&B PMII, used by sniper forces in UK, Switzerland, Germany, etc..etc. Great quality, great optics, great reliability and great turret functionality. But to be honest, for me the fun part is the stalk and getting in CLOSE to the target unnoticed, to make a one-shot kill certainty (the definition of Stalking). Turrets and longer shooting is fun, so something to keep for the range, unless you literally cannot approach your target (vermin, not deer). I know the americans like their 1000yd shots, but even in the US army, snipers do not expect grouping within 3 inches at these distances, and that is simply not good enough for animals IMHO, plus, these are some of the most prestige shooters in the world, using the ultimate precision gear.

However, you can do a lot of work out to 200-300m with something as simple as my 6x42 S&B, just by understanding range finding using the reticle posts, having a dope chart for elevation and windage, and understanding environmental effects on ballistics (air pressure, humidity, temperature, elevation, wind, etc, etc.). You can also judge wind based on movement of tree's, and mirage. Of course, if you're nailing bunnies (no sexual connotations meant) then the holdover at this type of distance might be a bit hard to measure, but ok for Roe (even though it's not good to have to aim above the crest of the back, as it makes it very hard to judge) - so you're probably looking at a max distance which creates 5-6" of bullet drop, ie. from back crest to heart/lung area. For me that's 225yds. At 500 yds it's a straight hold on the top of the bottom reticle post - but unless you're taking a fox or similar, it's not something to try. Additionally, PLENTY of range time is required, putting plenty of hits within 3" diameter at these distances, at various environmental conditions, in order to have the ability to repeat in a 'live' scenario. I can suggest using note book to record all these variables, recording results, and making a note of your cold-bore shot.

I have not shot outwith the 225yd range on my S&B, as I will not take shots at anything where I have to holdover above the top crest of the animal - however, with a decent turret system, that's a different story. Mind you, I would not want to take longer shots at deer in general (longer meaning 200-300yds, and ONLY if I cannot stalk them much much closer) at dusk, as you risk leaving a wounded animal - which is no good

''I can see it without any glass - just looking through the scope its black. This happened once more with rabbits and then he sold the scope, bought a Doctor 3-12x56 and has been happy ever since - it isnt such a machine at distance as the NF - but when its starts to go inky black the Doc has it whipped.

I do hope that the above was a freak occurance, but I shall be steering clear of them in the future''.

Sam,

As they get older.....

Tell your dad to flip up the butler creeks next time......

(Don't tell him, only kidding)

I've been using Swarovski scopes on my rifles for years, before them i had a zeiss and a S&B 8X56. I still rate my Swarovskis and there is no doubt they are a fantastic scope but i used a friends nightforce and was so impressed at last light and for lamping, that i sold both Swaro's and purchased 2 x nightforce scopes. They are simply incredible, but i will say this.... It doesn't matter what you use, i am convinced none of the high end scopes are any better than any of the others, it is all down to the individuals eyes and whether or not they suit you. Personal preference and confidence is all that matters and the difference in personal opinion is great, it is what drives these companies to build to such a high standard.