Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make quad sticks

How to make quad sticks

Evening all,

I am planning on trying to make my own quad sticks and was hoping to get some advice from others who may have done the same i.e what design/wood they used, what did they use to keep the set together chain/rubber/rope? Pics, diagrams etc all helpful.

Cheers

4x 2m b and q garden canes, metal tube covered plastic ones
    4x 2mm X 25mm stainless bolts and nuts (nyloc if you can get them)
    4x 6mm neodymium magnets
    one shoelace fine strong or similar

bolt two pairs together at the bottom about 2cm up
    tape the two pairs together and bolt the tops of two different pairs together about 5" down
    drill four 6mm holes opposite each other just down from the opposing hinges top and bottom, epoxy a magnet into each one
    tie a shoe lace between the top two hinges, adjust for length to accommodate your riflebetween fore stock and pistol grip

cut the last 3-4inches off the top of the pole one nearest your face when opened
    pull the hung out of the off it and resent into the cut end

go shoot stuff

SD Regular
    OTOH you could join as a supporter and maybe, as I did, win some of the Limulus stocks in the next quarterly draw?

There are loads of ways to make them But i think the SD MONKEY STICKS are by far the best.It has changed the way i shoot,hunt and even zero check the rifle.Everybody should try them as they are by far the most stable you will get when shooting apart from a full benchrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    Here you go:
    +1
    bryn

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    4x 2m b and q garden canes, metal tube covered plastic ones
    4x 2mm X 25mm stainless bolts and nuts (nyloc if you can get them)
    4x 6mm neodymium magnets
    one shoelace fine strong or similar

bolt two pairs together at the bottom about 2cm up
    tape the two pairs together and bolt the tops of two different pairs together about 5" down
    drill four 6mm holes opposite each other just down from the opposing hinges top and bottom, epoxy a magnet into each one
    tie a shoe lace between the top two hinges, adjust for length to accommodate your riflebetween fore stock and pistol grip

cut the last 3-4inches off the top of the pole one nearest your face when opened
    pull the hung out of the off it and resent into the cut end

go shoot stuff

A little bit to add with what I have learnt over time, if you use 5mm bolts then as will wear over time you can fit 6mm ones. The jump from 6 is 8 in standard metric which is a bit chunkey.

On the bottom joint if you stagger the holes ie 40 and 60 then it will leave each pair with one point on each side helping it find get a better grip when the ground drys up.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

type in your search bar how to make shooting sticks,mine are as mark gilchrists quad sticks with a couple of mods and are absolutely solid,best bit of kit ive got and wouldnt be without them

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter14 View Post
    Evening all,

I am planning on trying to make my own quad sticks and was hoping to get some advice from others who may have done the same i.e what design/wood they used, what did they use to keep the set together chain/rubber/rope? Pics, diagrams etc all helpful.

Cheers
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2020101104.pdf see them being modelled below. Regards JCS

If you have ever made a tent in your front room as a kid out of string and bean sticks , Q sticks are about the easy't things to make ,