Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Scope?

Which Scope?

Need some advice on which scope to go for please.

I've recently changed my rifle from a .25-06 to .260, the rifle is for stalking but I'd also like to do some long range targets with it too so I'm looking for a scope that can do both. I have a few in mind but would like some advice.

The scopes I'm considering are

S & B PMII 5-20x50 Ultra Short
    S & B PMII 5-25x56
    Kahles K624i 6-24x56

I think at the moment I'm favouring the Kahles but if anyone is using the above scopes any advice would be wonderful, or if there is another scope I haven't considered?

Kind Regards

Gareth

Depending on your budget you could go for a Swarovski?

Buy Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 ii P L Online. Only £1,601.99 - The Sportsman Gun Centre | SGC

Buy Swarovski Z6 2. 5-15x56 ii P L Online. Only £1,601.99 - The Sportsman Gun Centre | SGC

Buy Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 Ii. P Bt L Plex Online. Only £1,709.99 - The Sportsman Gun Centre | SGC

Bewsher on here also has a group buy thread going on for the new Z8 glass so it might be worth dropping him a line as well?

I gotta say when I started looking into scopes I baulked at the Swaro prices, but then I tried one and bought one as a result! Brilliant glass which works great in low light and with a lifetime guarantee.

JMHO, YMMV and all that..

Gareth, I was much in the same position as you, ive had many scopes but have ended up with a PM11 12-50x56, yep sounds over the top but its a very useable scope, and great for long range stuff.

hi Gareth.I have a khales 624i and it's brilliant in every way and the adjustment range is first class-will go past 1500 yards easily without an inclined base.The reticule is good as it is fine but clear bearing in mind its first focal plane.On my fox rifle I have a Zeiss 6x24x56 which does not have the same adjustment range but good for say 800yards.The glass on both is extremely good and there is nothing between them in low light performance.The only handy point on the Zeiss that clicks are 0.5 mil but 1mil on the Khales which is not quite as accurate.Depends what you call long range but if 800 is good enough you could get a Diavari(older ones have turrets in 0.5 and on both horizontal and vertical) for about half the price of a Sand B.Richard.

Gareth
    It's worthwhile also considering whether it's formal long range targets or field targets. MOA v mils is also a consideration. For formal range work, MOA has the edge as the targets are sized in MOA. For informal range work, mils seem to be favoured. What your pals use is also a consideration. It's trickier for a pair of folk to spot for one another if one is working in MOA and the other is in mils.
    I've personally attempted to go with a single do it all scope and failed. I use a target scope (MOA) for targets and a Z6 Swarovski for stalking.
    Reticles are also a matter of personal preference. Do try before you buy.

Best Tactical Scopes Reticles - What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Regards
    JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 02-08-2016 at 11:12.

I have to admit I'm tempeted with a Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50BT but kinda fancied something with tactical turrets that said I love how the Ballistic Turret works on the Swarovski.

Quote Originally Posted by stubear View Post
    Depending on your budget you could go for a Swarovski?

Buy Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 ii P L Online. Only £1,601.99 - The Sportsman Gun Centre | SGC

Buy Swarovski Z6 2. 5-15x56 ii P L Online. Only £1,601.99 - The Sportsman Gun Centre | SGC

Buy Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 Ii. P Bt L Plex Online. Only £1,709.99 - The Sportsman Gun Centre | SGC

Bewsher on here also has a group buy thread going on for the new Z8 glass so it might be worth dropping him a line as well?

I gotta say when I started looking into scopes I baulked at the Swaro prices, but then I tried one and bought one as a result! Brilliant glass which works great in low light and with a lifetime guarantee.

JMHO, YMMV and all that..

I certainly an very tempted to go for a K624i and what you've said pretty much confirms how good I thought they would be.

Quote Originally Posted by richard griffith View Post
    hi Gareth.I have a khales 624i and it's brilliant in every way and the adjustment range is first class-will go past 1500 yards easily without an inclined base.The reticule is good as it is fine but clear bearing in mind its first focal plane.On my fox rifle I have a Zeiss 6x24x56 which does not have the same adjustment range but good for say 800yards.The glass on both is extremely good and there is nothing between them in low light performance.The only handy point on the Zeiss that clicks are 0.5 mil but 1mil on the Khales which is not quite as accurate.Depends what you call long range but if 800 is good enough you could get a Diavari(older ones have turrets in 0.5 and on both horizontal and vertical) for about half the price of a Sand B.Richard.

Thats very good advice, certainly for the moment it wouldn't be formal competitions it would be field targets. I also think you're correct in saying that there probably isn't one scope to do it all as there will be some sacrifice made somewhere. I currently have a Swarovski 8X56, maybe I should put that on QR Mounts and get a more focussed scope for long range target use.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Gareth
    It's worthwhile also considering whether it's formal long range targets or field targets. MOA v mils is also a consideration. For formal range work, MOA has the edge as the targets are sized in MOA. For informal range work, mils seem to be favoured. What your pals use is also a consideration. It's trickier for a pair of folk to spot for one another if one is working in MOA and the other is in mils.
    I've personally attempted to go with a single do it all scope and failed. I use a target scope (MOA) for targets and a Z6 Swarovski for stalking.
    Reticles are also a matter of personal preference. Do try before you buy.

Best Tactical Scopes Reticles - What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Regards
    JCS

I've got two of the Vortex GEN II Razor 4.5x27s mentioned in the PRB article. Glass is excellent and the turret system is the best I've ever seen.

The blog JCS linked to also did a "real" test of tactical scopes (rather than just an advertiser funded magazine review) which makes for really, really interesting reading.

Tactical Scopes: Field Test Results Summary Overall Scores - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

If you have the time then read the whole review as it is interesting and gives a reasonable summary of how a scope test should actually look.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/