Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McNab cost?

McNab cost?

Hi there,

A good friend of mine reaches forty in December 2017 and his wife has asked me to book a surprise sporting trip. Each September we have our own version of the Mcnab... a rabbit, salmon and duck, with a sewin thrown in as well. We've not achieved the four in one day as yet, but we keep trying!

So... I wondered if the real thing might be accessible to us and what it might cost? We would be looking at the last week of October as the most suitable time for us to go. Any pointers in the right direction would be most appreciated.

kind regards,
    Gavin.

Will watch this thread with interest. I saw a movie by tweed sporting on it a while ago. You might try contacting them and seeing who hosted them.

The Field have a link on their website for the macnab challenge, lists estates and approximate costs. Tried to put up link but it won't work.
    Last edited by Glen of Imaal; 02-08-2016 at 12:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Will watch this thread with interest. I saw a movie by tweed sporting on it a while ago. You might try contacting them and seeing who hosted them.
    West Highland Hunting

It was filmed at Auch and Invermerean Estate, the sporting lets are handled by West Highland Hunting.

I've tried the solway mcnab of a deer, goat and a boar. Three occasions I've had deer and goats but not a boar. However I've had three boar on different occasions.

Whats the time frame on a genuine mcnab ??

Dawn till dusk is the usual time allowed, but the original macnab was all poached. Now that would be a good challenge amongst local estates once in a while, laird an keeper tries a macnab on a neighbouring estate whilst trying not to get caught. A bit of a light hearted stalking challenge between estates.

SD Regular
    Dawn till dusk is the usual time allowed, but the original macnab was all poached.
    Yes. Correct 100%. And without wanting to be a "party pooper" that's why I see no value in a "bought" MacNab. But as far as it goes the grouse and the deer and the easy bit. The hard part is the salmon.

If I had the time and the money I'd make more particular discreet enquiries about his interests and find something more honed to those. And less expensive?

How about, and this will be truly a challenge, all four species of game birds? A pheasant, one of each partridge, a grouse (optional), and a woodcock? That would make a good day, walking up.

The other might be a Surtees's challenge...without the horse...where you have a walked up day together. The winner is the one that shoots the most head of game. But the "gimmick" is that, as per Surtees, was that each gun carries in his game bag, or on his person, what the other gun has shot.

In Surtees's fictional story the gun that realises that he is going to lose saves the day by seeing a tired old horse, paying the farmer for it, and then shooting it...leaving his rival to have to carry it or admit defeat in the wager.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    . But as far as it goes the grouse and the deer and the easy bit. The hard part is the salmon..
    The original McNab was 2 stags and a salmon. Grouse doesn't enter into it.
    The challenge lies in the fact that they were poached, having first warned the landowner of the forthcoming attempt.