Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 Interesting Article.

7mm-08 Interesting Article.

Having bought a Kimber 7mm-08 with a 18" barrel and finding it shoots 120grn bullets with great accuracy but far from satisfactory with the 139SST I wanted to use I have been very interested to read the article from Terminal Ballistics http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...Remington.html

I have ordered a TX3 SS lite in Left hand but its special order 6 month wait. It comes with 22" barrel. Luckily for me I have a variation for another of the same calibre.

To get to the point the article praises A-MAX bullets in 162Grn as a great hunting bullet ?? Somewhat different outlook to what has been talked about frequently on different forums.

Suggest anyone with this calibre will find the article worth reading at least

Cheers Redneck

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Having bought a Kimber 7mm-08 with a 18" barrel and finding it shoots 120grn bullets with great accuracy but far from satisfactory with the 139SST I wanted to use I have been very interested to read the article from Terminal Ballistics http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...Remington.html

I have ordered a TX3 SS lite in Left hand but its special order 6 month wait. It comes with 22" barrel. Luckily for me I have a variation for another of the same calibre.

To get to the point the article praises A-MAX bullets in 162Grn as a great hunting bullet ?? Somewhat different outlook to what has been talked about frequently on different forums.

Suggest anyone with this calibre will find the article worth reading at least

Cheers Redneck
    Aye Redneck you should have stuck to plan A with my sons LH Tikka and fitted the barrel of your choice... Good luck with the TX3

I've read a few of Nathan's books, the reason for the amax preference is that despite it being classified as a target bullet it is actually very soft and so at extreme ranges it can still be relied upon to expand where other bullets may leave pencil holes and running game. I have no reason to doubt Nathan's experiences of amax, he has clearly shot a lot of game with it and he has been documenting bullet performance for years. However at normal stalking ranges there are plenty of bullets that will do just as good a job. I quite like the 150gn Nosler ballistic tip. But I am about to load up some Speer 145gn soft points to see how they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    I've read a few of Nathan's books, the reason for the amax preference is that despite it being classified as a target bullet it is actually very soft and so at extreme ranges it can still be relied upon to expand where other bullets may leave pencil holes and running game. I have no reason to doubt Nathan's experiences of amax, he has clearly shot a lot of game with it and he has been documenting bullet performance for years. However at normal stalking ranges there are plenty of bullets that will do just as good a job. I quite like the 150gn Nosler ballistic tip. But I am about to load up some Speer 145gn soft points to see how they go.
    Thank you for that.Both the Speer 145 and Sierra Gameking 150 are excellent,expanding and retaining about 80%..I have a pic..
    Attachment 72879
    Last edited by Highlandsjohn; 02-08-2016 at 11:32.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08, with 2-7x35mm scope. Very light to carry and very accurate.
    You don't need expensive bullets. Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady, Speer and PPU will do the job. There is such a huge selection. You could just pick one and hunt everything in your area, out to 300 yards with ease and punch.
    The Speer 145 BTSP is sleek, accurate, and great terminal performance. Same is true for Sierra 140 and 150 Gamekings.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08, with 2-7x35mm scope. Very light to carry and very accurate.
    You don't need expensive bullets. Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady, Speer and PPU will do the job. There is such a huge selection. You could just pick one and hunt everything in your area, out to 300 yards with ease and punch.
    The Speer 145 BTSP is sleek, accurate, and great terminal performance. Same is true for Sierra 140 and 150 Gamekings.
    Hi Southern
    Will be taking the Tikka to SA on Plains Game and some of them are a fair size animal. I did shoot a range of stuff this year with the Kimber and 139SST. Did the job but not just as you would like.

Take your point John but that still makes for quite an expensive rifle if you are putting any kind of decent barrel on its around 800.00. Besides having got rid of my 243 having two 7mm-08 different set ups is just the job. Plus the new TX3 has a couple of good improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Hi Southern
    Will be taking the Tikka to SA on Plains Game and some of them are a fair size animal. I did shoot a range of stuff this year with the Kimber and 139SST. Did the job but not just as you would like.

Take your point John but that still makes for quite an expensive rifle if you are putting any kind of decent barrel on its around 800.00. Besides having got rid of my 243 having two 7mm-08 different set ups is just the job. Plus the new TX3 has a couple of good improvements.
    Just a wind up Redneck. Sold it a couple days later. You done it the right way, great calibre...john

Interesting. I started out using Federal 140 gr Fusions in mine (see separate thread) but after a few odd results, with bullets turning through 90 degrees inside animals, I went over to using Federal 150 gr softpoints, and recently 140 gr Winchester softpoints. Both of these seem to be doing the job just fine. Great calibre, just needs some experimentation to get the best out of your barrel.

I've just acquired a 7/08 strasser straight pull R14 after nearly a years wait from sportsman's gun centre Dorset and have also loaded 139 sst to try out with a view to them being my go to bullet but I also have 120 speers as a back up haven't had any time to test and chrono yet though and mine have 22 " barrel?

If you think the 139-gr SST is too frangible for larger game or closer ranges on the African plains, load up some 140-gr Barnes TSX to go along with a good 140-gr SPT. I love the 154-gr Hornady bullets and 160-gr Sierra bullets in my 7x64 and .280 Rem, but they get to be a bit heavy for the 7mm-08. The 120-gr Nosler BT shoots fast and flat, and is pretty stoutly constructed, but beyond 250 yards, the 140-gr boattails shoot flatter and with more energy on target.