Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointers as an all round dog?

Pointers as an all round dog?

So I do a little stalking, mostly wildfowling and the odd bit of rough shooting/crows. Now the sensible option has always been labs. I've always fancied a pointer but mainly to work at heel, hide dog and work out to say 20 yards. Is a pointer eg gwp a waste of time? I get on fine with labs but just always fancied one. Would be nice to have a quiet dog that went on point.

just interested in how people find them as actual HPRs all round? Hard mouthed?

Hi I have a gwp for stalking and rough shooting so far very happy with him my old lab is 15 years young so he just gets a few hours rough shooting and a few evenings roost shooting gwp to a bit more training and at 16 months still a bit puppyish but very happy with him

Great dogs. My two year old GWP bitch will walk at heel all day when stalking and hunt out on front all day when on birds. It is like having two different dogs. Couldn't ask for better and she is still improving.

Had a few GSP's & they're fantastic dogs. I've had some that hated water (& some that loved it) so the wild fowling aspect is the main area that would concern me with what you want to do. Currently I have a soft mouthed one but the hard-mouthed ones are easier to find!

How about a wirehaired viszla , I have one for everything , duck shooting, rough shooting , grouse , stalking , working with falcons , can't see me having anything else ever !

Wirehaired Vizsla They do the lot I have 3. Had most of the other breeds in my life would never have anything else now. Just bought a new pup.Wf1

Personally i'd say a waste of time, for wot u want.
    Great dogs/breeds but none of wot ur looking for are there strong points, infact most of wot u want are there weaker points. Most of the smooth coated breeds are not fond of water and many will hardly paddle never mind swim and most hor breeds are noisier than 'normal' gundog breeds

If u put the time and effort in and get lucky with the individual dog u could train it do do wot u want, but there is still a chance it won't.
    And even if u get very lucky with the dog and put a lot of time and effort in and it turns into a decent dog, it will still not be as good as an average lab at wot ur wanting

If u want a change i'd have a look at other retriever breeds ur flatty's, golden or curly coated or irish water spaniel, but its just getting decent working stock at 'normal' prices, and to be fair none of them will be as good as a lab either

Labs are so popularfor a reason, granted they are also quite boring but thats because there a doodle to train and just want to please u, and u don't have to watch them every second.

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Personally i'd say a waste of time, for wot u want.
    Great dogs/breeds but none of wot ur looking for are there strong points, infact most of wot u want are there weaker points. Most of the smooth coated breeds are not fond of water and many will hardly paddle never mind swim and most hor breeds are noisier than 'normal' gundog breeds

If u put the time and effort in and get lucky with the individual dog u could train it do do wot u want, but there is still a chance it won't.
    And even if u get very lucky with the dog and put a lot of time and effort in and it turns into a decent dog, it will still not be as good as an average lab at wot ur wanting

If u want a change i'd have a look at other retriever breeds ur flatty's, golden or curly coated or irish water spaniel, but its just getting decent working stock at 'normal' prices, and to be fair none of them will be as good as a lab either

Labs are so popularfor a reason, granted they are also quite boring but thats because there a doodle to train and just want to please u, and u don't have to watch them every second.
    Wise words as always........................but I still wouldn't change my GWP for one.

I cannot get my head round some of the really poor comments on this thread about Pointers
    I am going to make some broad statements, therefor I will explain my reasoning and experience first.
    I have kept, trained and worked dogs for 60 years, Fell terriers to Afghan hounds, Golden Retrievers to GSPs and a lot in-between.
    And I have seen a lot of working dogs all over the world.
    Firstly ALL mammals are born with the ability of swimming in water, it is only if frightened or badly entered that any mammal fails and that includes humans, I have yet to see a dog that doesn't swim if entered correctly.
    When it comes to Pointers, do people not find it strange that water work is a major part of continental dog tests? and until the working pointer test were cancelled in the UK it was the only dog test that contained water work as mandatory, there was a nice article about it the sporting press last year.
    Hard mouth yes, some pointers are hard mouthed, but so are more than a few labs, just look in a game cart at the end of a day.
    I take people out wild fowling most of the winter, on most days the wildfowlers take their own dogs, normally Labs or Chesapeake's, but when there's un retrieved ducks or geese, its my GSPs that do the finding and retrieving. Yet by the very nature of my work, they are not out in the field as much as the clients dogs, so it should be their dogs that work better.
    When I'm out stalking they work at heel and point deer, fox and find lost large game.
    When out on Driven shoots they both sit at the peg without a problem and retrieve when asked and I could go on, but you get the picture!, they are not some sort of magic dog, they are the product of hard work and training, the same as hundreds of other good dogs.
    A GSP or GWP can be a perfect all round dog, but it takes a lot more effort and understanding then a Labrador retriever.
    And this is the final clincher, MOST British dog men do not have the know how or patience to successfully train a pointer to a high standard and then they make the excusers about the dogs are useless etc.

superbly written, obviously a man that understands pointers