Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean your mod!

Clean your mod!

I went out the other day to test some ammo, shots were all over the place, I suspected only the scope could be at fault. Tried again today with another scope, it was just the same 2" group at 40 yards.. On closer inspection I found a nick in the crown, I couldn't figure out how it had happened, I have never dropped the gun and I put the mod on when it leaves the cabinet and take it off when I get home so I knew it hadn't happened in the field. I spoke to the smith who made it today and he said that it's not uncommon for a wee bit of crap from the mod to fall into the barrel, (flake of rust or bit of carbon) only to get shot out on the next shot. Looking closely at the damage it looks just like it has been broken off from the inside out rather than dinged in... Mod will be going in the ultrasonic cleaner before it sees action again, and the rifle will be going to get re-crowned. Lesson learned....

I had a similar problem with the .22-250 I went to see Mike norris and he quickly recrowned it for me and now it's spot on again. Mine was the dodgy threading job by the chap I sold it to and then regretted it and bought it back.

I had the pleasure of watching Mike do a threading job a few months ago, and if any other 'smith does it better I'd be very surprised indeed.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I had exactly the same with my sake finnlight in 243, my own fault thou I left the mod on had it really crowned and it will shot half inch 3 shot groups with ease at 100 yards with homelands of 85 grain spitzers with 41 grains of variety behind it. Fast and flat.

I also never considered sonic cleaning of my mods. It would need to dry out properly thou??

shake it out and stick it on a radiator, I stick mine on the rayburn...

just be careful what you put in the ultrasonic bath as a cleaner,, some of the products sold commonly will strip the finish off some mods.

I use water only and it works ok.. followed by a spell in the oven / airing cupboard to dry the bits, its not much of a problem on my predator 12 as it strips easily to sub-assemblies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell308 View Post
    just be careful what you put in the ultrasonic bath as a cleaner,, some of the products sold commonly will strip the finish off some mods.

I use water only and it works ok.. followed by a spell in the oven / airing cupboard to dry the bits, its not much of a problem on my predator 12 as it strips easily to sub-assemblies.
    Do you use demineralised water? Just wondering about limescale in the mod after it dries.

I was told to give mine a good blast out with WD40 (is there anything it cant do, thats what I want to know haha) and then wrap it in tissue standing on its end for a bit for all the gubbins to drain out.

Then it can go back in the cabinet once most of the WD has drained out.

The only thing when doing this apparently is to only WD it when you wont be using it again for a few days to give the solution a chance to evaporate. If you WD it one evening and are then out again the next morning you will get a big plume of white smoke on your first shot! And also make sure you only do this with WD40 and not with any other oil - WD works because it is very thin and will evaporate over time, other oils wont and will build up a residue inside the mod.

Clean your moderator?

Interesting concept!
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.