Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Farm sign

Farm sign

Attachment 72932

New sign gone up on the entrance to one of the farms I shoot local to me
    I just thought it brilliant
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Looks to me like an accident waiting to happen. Two words that rarely go together are "common" and "sense"!

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Looks to me like an accident waiting to happen. Two words that rarely go together are "common" and "sense"!
    Perhaps another two words you don't find that go together are "sense" and "humour"
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Brilliant!!!!
    I have to wonder just how many would have enough common sense to read the sign to start with?

Funny From what I have seen over the last few years, people ignore signs and just do what they want to. Far to many signs being put up and left, even when the "danger" is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Funny From what I have seen over the last few years, people ignore signs and just do what they want to. Far to many signs being put up and left, even when the "danger" is over.

Never a truer word spoken - Our DMG closed a wood this year, placed big yellow signs up at each entrance saying they were closed due to firearms being used and red/white ticker tape strung across the gates, yet we still had a couple wandering through the woods past stalkers in high seats!! Can't account for stupid/ignorant whatever you do!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

In my limited experience "keep out shooting/deer management in progress" actually mean come in dog walkers ,let fido off the lead and please keep off the footpaths.The gene pool is polluted and the dog walking branch is doing its best to become extinct
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Never a truer word spoken - Our DMG closed a wood this year, placed big yellow signs up at each entrance saying they were closed due to firearms being used and red/white ticker tape strung across the gates, yet we still had a couple wandering through the woods past stalkers in high seats!! Can't account for stupid/ignorant whatever you do!!
    Yes indeed. Put a sign up last year along the same lines and the first person who came along turned it over, therefore not only putting themselves at risk but every subsequent person who walked along that track at risk also! B@ll#nds!
    Last edited by baguio; 04-08-2016 at 10:08.

Yes indeed. Put a sign up last year along the same lines and the first person who came along tuned it over, therefore not only putting themselves at risk but every subsequent person who walked along that track at risk also! B@ll#nds!
    Stubborn and stupid is a combination that you can not do much about ,except eventually nominate them for the Darwin award ?

Yes indeed. Put a sign up last year along the same lines and the first person who came along turned it over, therefore not only putting themselves at risk but every subsequent person who walked along that track at risk also! B@ll#nds!
    That's the sort of thing that would tempt one to put a graphic photo of bullet damage on a skinned carcass on the back of the sign along with the words: "Really? Are you sure you want to do this?"

You wouldn't, though - it might hurt someone's feelings (and that might actually matter - see below).

Aggressive signing may not be the best approach in any case. I visited WMS in Wales a while back and they had what I thought were some excellent signs: very polite, and IIRC encouraging anyone concerned by the shooting to come and talk to those doing it as they would find them to be friendly. It seems this was more effective in keeping them away than any amount of stern warnings!

Obviously, stalking is very different from target shooting, but I wonder if the psychology would still work well enough to reduce the level of interference.

Postscript. I was talking (at length) to someone a few days ago who was totally anti-shooting, and actively opposed to it. I suspect there were deeper roots to this but the most obvious and immediate one was the hostility and harassment they had had from a neighbouring commercial shoot that seems to have been carrying out its business with no regard for "common sense" or the BASC guidelines. The influence of this was clearly poisonous and traumatic, and had left them with an abhorrence of the very idea that someone might be occupying land near them for the purposes of shooting and thereby excluding them from it. Clearly, there are several things wrong with this thinking, but their perspective would almost certainly not have become so extremely polarised if the shoot had gone about its business and its relations with its neighbours in a more responsible and considerate manner in the first place. Moral: it can be hard to be a good neighbour, but it's probably worth the effort.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 04-08-2016 at 11:16.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay