Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Bag filler

Rear Bag filler

I have just purchased a set of bags and was wondering what to use as filler. I have searched on here and the concencus was either plastic beads or sand. Really I need inert material as was considering rice/wheat/maize but obviously no good if gets wet or not rodent proof. I don't need much only a kg or so for the rear bag which is the one which will be used the most.

Anyway I had an inspirational thought: really fine type gravel or sand would be ideal and a quick look in Pets at Home revealed a huge varriety of sand and gravel of different sizes and textures which is used in aquariums. Most of it is packed in 2kg bags, which have clear packaging and better still the packets are squ=eezable so some idea of how it will behave in a bag. Anyway I settled for a 2 kg bag of neon Pink 3.50p which looks quite fine so will try and report back.

D

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    +1

This is exactly what I used.

I've filled previous bags with sand and the plastic pellets are superior as they allow the bag to be packed hard with pellets - something I haven't been able to do with sand.

I've also tried rice and that's fairly useless - too light and can't hold its shape.

I used Rice in mine it gives a bit of weight and packs in tight

Reloading media is as good as it gets Regards Steve

Filled them with wheat when the keeper wasn't looking.

Have two
    one sand
    one plastic beads

sand is better
    plastic is lighter

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    SNIP

Anyway I had an inspirational thought: really fine type gravel or sand would be ideal and a quick look in Pets at Home revealed a huge varriety of sand and gravel of different sizes and textures which is used in aquariums. Most of it is packed in 2kg bags, which have clear packaging and better still the packets are squ=eezable so some idea of how it will behave in a bag. Anyway I settled for a 2 kg bag of neon Pink 3.50p which looks quite fine so will try and report back.

D
    I went for the something similar (but not pink) and chose the one that squeezed best which was IIRC the finest grade they offered.
    As it turns out the bag still feels a little light so am thinking about adding weight with builder's sand.

I used kiln dried sand, the type used to seal block paved drives, from builders merchants.

fills every gap ans easy to run through a funnel..