Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neck Shots?

Neck Shots?

Neck shots?

Last night I shot a four pointed roe buck at around 50yrds with a .243 105gr SP round, he was walking away from me in a tram line and only offered a shot when he turned his head to one side to browse on foliage, I had a steady rest tripod sticks.

I shot him exactly where I aimed, 2/3rds of the way up his neck and in the middle, he dropped on the spot and I then reloaded and waited about a minute before approaching him, when I arrived at the deer his eyes were rolling in his head and his body was slightly crunched and tense with small muscle convulsions.

By the time I was ready to deal with the situation he was expired, I take very few neck shots and although he did not move from the spot where I shot him I have not stopped thinking about it, thus I am writing this post for some advise, as I wandered if it is just a bad experience or bad placement as I know many of you take neck shots on a regular basis.

He was dead, if you severed the spinal column he would have felt nothing, not the worst way to go and no meat damage

IMHO

I know how you feel, but he was dead he just did not know it.Sikadog
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Neck Shots

Gents

Yes thats the thing with the old neck shots in that they do still seem alert above the impact area for as long as a min I found in the past, kind of the brain is still working-however the body is unable to deal with any form of command from it.

I did feel pretty uneasy I recall with the first one I took for much the same reasons, I do still take them when I can within reason & have found that I am happier with a going away shot to the back of the neck.

Regs Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lwcdart View Post
    Gents

Yes thats the thing with the old neck shots in that they do still seem alert above the impact area for as long as a min I found in the past, kind of the brain is still working-however the body is unable to deal with any form of command from it.

I did feel pretty uneasy I recall with the first one I took for much the same reasons, I do still take them when I can within reason & have found that I am happier with a going away shot to the back of the neck.

Regs Lee
    I certainly don't shoot enough deer to make a habit of neck shots, but Lee seems to have covered well here.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by jon15 View Post
    Neck shots?

Last night I shot a four pointed roe buck at around 50yrds with a .243 105gr SP round, he was walking away from me in a tram line and only offered a shot when he turned his head to one side to browse on foliage, I had a steady rest tripod sticks.

I shot him exactly where I aimed, 2/3rds of the way up his neck and in the middle, he dropped on the spot and I then reloaded and waited about a minute before approaching him, when I arrived at the deer his eyes were rolling in his head and his body was slightly crunched and tense with small muscle convulsions.

By the time I was ready to deal with the situation he was expired, I take very few neck shots and although he did not move from the spot where I shot him I have not stopped thinking about it, thus I am writing this post for some advise, as I wandered if it is just a bad experience or bad placement as I know many of you take neck shots on a regular basis.
    sounds like a perfect neck shot to me!!

Nice shot and well done buddy..

If fifty yards is within your capabilities and your comfortable for a neck shot whose to argue..

If you were in doubt or uncomfortable from the off maybe whistling him up and a broadside might have made for a more comfortable nights sleep..

Maybe the broadside might have had more complications with bullet fragmentation or many other scenarios.. you just dont know

In some cases maybe not taking the shot atall and looking forward to another day might be the best choice.

Each ones diferent jon but fair play for having the compassion and posting it up

ATB

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Jon15,
    I have had your exact experience but I think one factor is that with a general body shot we tend to wait the regulation 10mins before we approach so the life has left them. With a neck shot and an animal down I was more confident that it was dead so went straight forward. Mine remained "live" for a few minutes and I "finished it" with a knife, it had been hit with a BT and there was no spine at the point of impact so it was dead. I think the simple answer is to reload and wait (as we're supposed to) if you dont want them looking at you for the last minutes.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I have shot a few in the neck. Some seem to have died instantly, some take slightly longer, I also lost a Red Hind after a neck shot was taken. If I was to do nothing but neck shooting, I would use ballistic tips for the sole reason they will expand/deform/splinter break up, what ever you want to call it faster than soft point bullets. I do however only use soft point and would never restrict myself to a ballistic shot. I don't know (because I have never used) if I'd be happy using a ballistic tip on a Red/Sika although I'm sure they are more than upto the job, many on here no doubt use them, but it wouldn't be my choice.

Well done on the shot, you achieved your aim, shot/killed and had a carcass to take home.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

A fairly typical reaction to said shot, Quite ethicle, BUT this kill or miss attitude about neck shots is wrong, they can still go wrong.
    If you are to make a habit of head or neck shots then a bullet like a ballistic tip is the way to go.