Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Game this Fly Fishing

Dangerous Game this Fly Fishing

A couple of weeks ago i went fishing on the river Vezere in the Correze France, The river was full of large boulders so i carefully picked my way into the river to cast a fly, the evening rise had started and fish were feeding all around me, then from about 150 yards upstrean my brother in law shouted get out of the water it is rising fast, not an easy task when you are surrounded by boulders, i stumbled to the edge and had to climb out on my hands and knees, by the time i reached the safety the river bank the water was about a metre higher and rising, We found out later that a power station up stream had opened the barrier to produce power for the grid.
    Not to be put off, Tuesday evening i went to one of my favourite spots on the river Maronne close to Argentat, I parked and made my way through a little wood to the rivers edge, there was another angler about eighty yards to my right, the river came alive fish were taking flies and i was expecting this to be a very productive evening when all of a sudden CRACK SPLASH and a bullet hit the water about twenty yards to my right at first i thought i had imagined it but no it happened again, i waded out of the water and walked through the little wood and to my left i could see a man with a rifle on a balcony. i shouted stop it is very dangerous, to my surprise he said its my land. my river. i will do what i like, i told him he was an idiot and drove to the police station and reported him. the police followed me back to the house the told me to leave and they will deal with it, The outcome was that the man got a severe Bxxxxxxing and he promised not to do it again, as a friend said if it had happened in the uk the armed response team would have been sent out,
    Wednesday evening i went to another stretch of water and had a peaceful evenings fishing and actually caught four small brownies,

Cheers Geoff

As if the water rising fast was not enough..... And being a back stop for some knob

well I'm just glad to hear you had a few fish on your outing

ATB
    jon

Glad to hear you are safe and well Geoff.
    Try doing the lottery this week sounds like you are on a lucky run!!! ����

Aaron

Hi Aaron
    Good to hear from you. hope you and your dad are Ok, Hopefully see you in the winter, Cheers Geoff

Geoff

I used to fish as a youngster and my days were boring compared to yours
    I was asked to move out of an old boys favourite swim one night but at least he asked instead of shooting at me.........
    Glad to see you got something for your efforts

I had an abortive attempt at casually flicking a Rapala into the sea from the Normandy beaches last week. It ended in holding on to the railings of the concrete steps from the seas wall as I realised I wasn't going to escape the next wave. It came all the way up to my chest. I'm not used to the fish trying to catch me.

In the same village I took the bins out to the recycling. Obviously someone couldn't work out whether this was ordinary household waste, paper/card/plastic or glass, so just dumped it on the floor for someone else to decide. Which was me.

2016-08-09_11-30-22 by pinemarten, on Flickr

Hi Geoff,

Glad to hear you survived! Hopefully we can arrange a day on the Avon or Test in the coming year, Robin enjoyed the Avon even if we did miss the main of the Mayfly! Hopefully see you agin later this year, Kind regards Tom

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    Hi Aaron
    Good to hear from you. hope you and your dad are Ok, Hopefully see you in the winter, Cheers Geoff
    Yes we are both fine thanks,
    yes we will both be seeing yourself and Robin in a few months hopefully.

Hi Tom, good to hear from you, Robin really enjoyed his outings, i will be in Bishopstone on the 22nd of October for a 70th birthday bash so not far from you. Had a lovely evening fishing last night caught 2 Grayling three Trout and a roach, only one of the Grayling was big enought to put a bend in the rod, but still very enjoyable, Robin has already suggested that we invite you back to Sussex, so hope to catch up later in the year, Regards Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    A couple of weeks ago i went fishing on the river Vezere in the Correze France, The river was full of large boulders so i carefully picked my way into the river to cast a fly, the evening rise had started and fish were feeding all around me, then from about 150 yards upstrean my brother in law shouted get out of the water it is rising fast, not an easy task when you are surrounded by boulders, i stumbled to the edge and had to climb out on my hands and knees, by the time i reached the safety the river bank the water was about a metre higher and rising, We found out later that a power station up stream had opened the barrier to produce power for the grid.
    Not to be put off, Tuesday evening i went to one of my favourite spots on the river Maronne close to Argentat, I parked and made my way through a little wood to the rivers edge, there was another angler about eighty yards to my right, the river came alive fish were taking flies and i was expecting this to be a very productive evening when all of a sudden CRACK SPLASH and a bullet hit the water about twenty yards to my right at first i thought i had imagined it but no it happened again, i waded out of the water and walked through the little wood and to my left i could see a man with a rifle on a balcony. i shouted stop it is very dangerous, to my surprise he said its my land. my river. i will do what i like, i told him he was an idiot and drove to the police station and reported him. the police followed me back to the house the told me to leave and they will deal with it, The outcome was that the man got a severe Bxxxxxxing and he promised not to do it again, as a friend said if it had happened in the uk the armed response team would have been sent out,
    Wednesday evening i went to another stretch of water and had a peaceful evenings fishing and actually caught four small brownies,

Cheers Geoff

Thats hilarious and so typically french. Bloody Frogs are a law unto themselves. They have a very very lax attitude to firearms I think I read somewhere that they have one of the highest hunter mortality rates from accidents going. Which doesn't surprise me in the least tbh. Do you know what he was shooting with? I don't think I would have been calm enough to have gone to the police.