Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Unusual bites out stalking

  1. #1

    Unusual bites out stalking

    Was out last night and must have been the victim of some unidentified bug as this morning I have small watery itchy bite on my arm. Whatever it was needs to take a hygiene lesson.
    Can't think it could be a tick but keep in an eye on it..

    Anyone else had a strange bite out stalking?
    Last edited by Cris; 06-08-2016 at 07:20.

  2. #2
    Sounds like a cleg. Whenever I've noticed one biting me I've had an itchy spot a bit later which seeps a watery substance.

    As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I felt something crawling on me, swatted it away and whatever it was got squashed in my fingers, I didn't see what it was but it left a weird, chemical smell on my hand.
    If anyone knows what it might've been I would be interested.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

    Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

  3. #3
    While I am quite insensitive to insects and mosquitoes and rarely need to use insect repellent, even in the tropics, I have had some nasty spider bites in the UK which caused lots of swelling, local infection and blistering. So consider the possibility of a spider bite?
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    While I am quite insensitive to insects and mosquitoes and rarely need to use insect repellent, even in the tropics, I have had some nasty spider bites in the UK which caused lots of swelling, local infection and blistering. So consider the possibility of a spider bite?
    I nearly lost my index finger to a spider bite, so I agree not funny.
    I have never had blisters with any type of horse fly including clegs as they slit the skin, but they are extremely itchy.
    Mosquitoes and knats often leave blisters, not always though.

  5. #5
    Anyone else had a strange bite out stalking?

    you name it and its bit me, if it dosen`t bite, its stung me

    this hot weather has brought everything out

    working in the woods with the pheasants is a nightmare.
    mossis and horse flies looking for blood
    skinning deer a nightmare. six ticks on one arm.

    probably a mosquitoe, a tick will burrow in and youll see it

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    Sounds like a cleg. Whenever I've noticed one biting me I've had an itchy spot a bit later which seeps a watery substance.

    As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I felt something crawling on me, swatted it away and whatever it was got squashed in my fingers, I didn't see what it was but it left a weird, chemical smell on my hand.
    If anyone knows what it might've been I would be interested.
    I've found shield bugs tickle when they walk on you and leave a weird chemically, almost coriander like smell if you so much as touch them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun.

  7. #7
    At the start of last years game shooting season I had spent the day crossing stubble, in boots but the hem of my trousers loose. My shins and calves were covered in small red bites which itched a bit then got bigger. No reaction otherwise but they went quite ugly and looked like 5mm purple bruises and tooks weeks to properly heal. No idea what is was - they didn't go nasty so I didn't go to the doc's. Wee spiders?

  8. #8
    Attachment 73305
    Bit by something a while back ended up with this.very painful

  9. #9
    Not out stalking, Skippering on the lower Dee last week, one of my passengers was hosting a Parkgate Clegg on his chin right where the Kirk Douglas cleft is, I swiped it away just before it made big inroads, I can't imagine how big this guy's chin would have blown out to.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    Attachment 73305
    Bit by something a while back ended up with this.very painful
    Hmm over a week on and my bite has not healed yet. Have to say its looking like a smaller version of this.

Similar Threads

  1. Unusual finds whilst stalking
    By norma 308 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 233
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 20:14
  2. Midge bites what to put on after
    By DJC in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18-07-2013, 10:49
  3. Mozi bites
    By forrestfarrier in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-06-2012, 20:41
  4. adder bites
    By musty in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 20-07-2010, 06:10
  5. SNAKE BITES
    By griffshrek in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-05-2008, 15:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •