Unusual bites out stalking

Cris

Was out last night and must have been the victim of some unidentified bug as this morning I have small watery itchy bite on my arm. Whatever it was needs to take a hygiene lesson.
Can't think it could be a tick but keep in an eye on it..

Anyone else had a strange bite out stalking?

Last edited:
Sounds like a cleg. Whenever I've noticed one biting me I've had an itchy spot a bit later which seeps a watery substance.

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I felt something crawling on me, swatted it away and whatever it was got squashed in my fingers, I didn't see what it was but it left a weird, chemical smell on my hand.
If anyone knows what it might've been I would be interested.

While I am quite insensitive to insects and mosquitoes and rarely need to use insect repellent, even in the tropics, I have had some nasty spider bites in the UK which caused lots of swelling, local infection and blistering. So consider the possibility of a spider bite?

While I am quite insensitive to insects and mosquitoes and rarely need to use insect repellent, even in the tropics, I have had some nasty spider bites in the UK which caused lots of swelling, local infection and blistering. So consider the possibility of a spider bite?
I nearly lost my index finger to a spider bite, so I agree not funny.
I have never had blisters with any type of horse fly including clegs as they slit the skin, but they are extremely itchy.
Mosquitoes and knats often leave blisters, not always though.

Anyone else had a strange bite out stalking?

you name it and its bit me, if it dosen`t bite, its stung me

this hot weather has brought everything out

working in the woods with the pheasants is a nightmare.
mossis and horse flies looking for blood
skinning deer a nightmare. six ticks on one arm.

probably a mosquitoe, a tick will burrow in and youll see it

Sounds like a cleg. Whenever I've noticed one biting me I've had an itchy spot a bit later which seeps a watery substance.

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I felt something crawling on me, swatted it away and whatever it was got squashed in my fingers, I didn't see what it was but it left a weird, chemical smell on my hand.
If anyone knows what it might've been I would be interested.

I've found shield bugs tickle when they walk on you and leave a weird chemically, almost coriander like smell if you so much as touch them.

At the start of last years game shooting season I had spent the day crossing stubble, in boots but the hem of my trousers loose. My shins and calves were covered in small red bites which itched a bit then got bigger. No reaction otherwise but they went quite ugly and looked like 5mm purple bruises and tooks weeks to properly heal. No idea what is was - they didn't go nasty so I didn't go to the doc's. Wee spiders?

Not out stalking, Skippering on the lower Dee last week, one of my passengers was hosting a Parkgate Clegg on his chin right where the Kirk Douglas cleft is, I swiped it away just before it made big inroads, I can't imagine how big this guy's chin would have blown out to:scared:.

horse fly by the sound of it my grandsons just been to walk in centre ,hes got about six /seven of them two are infected and really look bad,he had been fishing and only noticed one bite,update,,,,,he is now on antibiotics ,

Last edited:
Back