Vortex Scope caps

scotch_egg

Like many I am sick to the back teeth of butler creek scope caps breaking and generally not being fit for purpose. I am not a fan of the bikini style caps that come with most scopes as I find them clumsy. I have tried attaching them to the scope so I don't leave them up the high seat or on range floor at the shot site. But even then the flappy rubber bands catch on foliage. I bought a set of tenebrex scope covers for a Schmidt PM11 not much change from £80. Good quality but of kit but limited by the fixings on what scopes they fit. I needed some for a Zeiss V8, I know zeiss produce aluminium objective covers but didn't want to attach a lever onto the end of my scope that would transfer stress if it was caught up on anything or hit when open.

I came across the Defender caps from Vortex a few weeks ago. They looked good and less than half the price of the tenebrex I thought they were worth a go. I ordered a set from here Vortex Defender Flip Caps

When they showed up the very next day, I was very impressed by the quality construction. The hinges were equal to the tenebrex. They stay shut and open easily unlike the butler creek. I like the fact that they fold flat when open so not to extend your silhouette, especially when shooting off sticks.

The best bit is they have a life time guarantee. I don't think I will need to use it but it's reassuring to know. I have at least 3 snapped butler creek caps floating about and hate to think how much money I wasted on them. The hinges are build to last as you can see compared to the butler creek.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 55
  • image.png
    image.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 51
  • image.png
    image.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 52
Do these fit makes of scope other than Vortex? I could do with some for my Bushnell.

Yes, I have a set on my S&B 1.5-6x42 Flashdot. A mate has a set on a Nightforce scope. The attachment 'ring' is rubber and very stretchy. They come in three sizes which fit a wide range of eye & objective lens diameters. They really are excellent value for money and vastly superior to the current Butler Creek offering.

I see from the website link given by the OP that the eyepiece cover won't fit the 1" tubed Viper models. Do you think it'll fit 1" tubed scopes of other makes?

Thanks for posting, I have a new vortex 1 inch 4-12 X 40 AO diamond back that I am hoping I can get a set for.

The modern Butler creeks that are being produced now are made from a plastic of such poor quality that the company should be ashamed of it self. In actual fact I suspect that they are probably selling more than ever as the covers only last a few outings before self destructing..... and there arnt that many alternatives to choose from.

Bought mine a couple of months ago as like most I was sick to death of the **** poor quality of Butler Creeks which incidentally used to be good.
The Vortex seem to be very good indeed :thumb:

i have the objective ones on my two bushnell 4-14x44 ultra hds,did have the ocular ones as well,but sent them back as when you went to open them they used to slide up over(bit to big),even though according to the website they were supposed to fit,i suppose thats just down to having the nominated sizes rather than the actual size,however the objectives are fine

Ive recently bought a set of these for my Vortex scope.. like with all there products I'm impressed with the quality.

I also like the D.O.P.E card in the eye cup cap. good for quick reference in the field for range.

Reckon everyone must've gone out and bought them after reading this thread - I have left it a bit late, as all the UK stockists I've looked at now show "sold out" for the 50mm objective cap. There was plenty in stock last time I looked, but for one reason and another I never got around to placing the order :doh:

Well I got a set at last, from optics warehouse, a late birthday present from my mother.
They're every bit as good as described and fit my bushnell perfectly, except that the eyepiece cover fouls my bolt. Damn.

Reckon everyone must've gone out and bought them after reading this thread - I have left it a bit late, as all the UK stockists I've looked at now show "sold out" for the 50mm objective cap. There was plenty in stock last time I looked, but for one reason and another I never got around to placing the order :doh:
You dodged the bullet as far as I'm concerned. I bought a set for my Viper PST FFP 6-24x50mm and they were terrible. Every time I tried to flip up either cover the entire unit would cock on the objective. On some of the US sites they talk about keeping a bottle of rubber cement to keep them in place. I gave them away and went back to Butler Creek at half the price. On a side note,I am curious: I have NEVER broken a set of Butler Creek covers. What do you guys do to them to cause them to break??~Muir

Muir,

BC were the best but for some reason some years ago they changed the plastic used for the hinges and they are now utterly usless (well all the ones you can buy in UK) I have a set of Leupold Branded BC on my MK 4 brilliant but after market ones last barely a month, there are several threads on here about the very subject.

Must say I got a set of BC Blizzards in USA last year and they appear OK.

D

Some of the old Butler creeks held very well. Then the ones I bought in Europe and possibly a few in the states seemed absolute rubbish and I had cases of 10 minute hunting life span. Last November I bought a few more in the states and they seem to be lasting again...?? haven't broken one in almost a year. Saying that my main hunting rifle has tenebraex on it.
edi

Thanks. I have read that people are unhappy with them but as to how they were broken? I was just curious. The hinges break? I have been very lucky: I have never broken one in weather from -20F to + 120F. I did smash one once and rendered it unusable but this was a extraordinary event.~Muir

Back