Afternoon Pigeons....Early Evening Muntjac...

A busy afternoon on rape stubble with a mate totalled 63 picking 56, far to hot for the dog also there were tractors running wheat behind the hedge we were shooting from!!
Plenty of birds in the area with a good number heading to a pea field which was being cut about 3/4 of a mile behind us. Only 5 had food in their crops so we were on the right line.
005_zpsghxzept1.jpg

My third trip to a farm where I have seen Muntjac slots be never seen a deer, first trip produced a vixen, second was a Buck very close in the tree line calling for around 20 mins!
This evening a doe came out browsing long the headland, where is the Buck!!!
Ah there he is......!! With the doe being 20 yards in front she then disappears into the hedge, I have shot enough of these to know he will be on that invisible bit of string and follow this girl!!
A quick bark stopped him long enough for the round too do its job...
017_zpsji6kk8rq.jpg

020_zpswk5sld5l.jpg

Tim.243

Last edited:
Very successful day Tim,well done..:thumb:

Cheers, I was feeling the affects of the day as the original plan was to shoot a field of rape stubble quite early but when I got there they were muck spreading it. The farmers son who I was going to take forgot to text me!!
That was plan (B) nothing like a deer to kick you back to full alert lol...

It is surprising how quick the time goes, after the gralloch I went for a 20 min walk to let it cool a bit, then drive home to finish the prep before the chillier.

Tim.243

Cheers, I was feeling the affects of the day as the original plan was to shoot a field of rape stubble quite early but when I got there they were muck spreading it. The farmers son who I was going to take forgot to text me!!
That was plan (B) nothing like a deer to kick you back to full alert lol...

It is surprising how quick the time goes, after the gralloch I went for a 20 min walk to let it cool a bit, then drive home to finish the prep before the chillier.

Tim.243

Where there's muck...we make our own luck...Our harvesting is way behind yours down south and we have no hay or silage fields to cut, just barley ,wheat and rape.
When I can get the jeep close that is my kind of gralloch. That's a great bit of kit you have for hanging and dressing,did you make it?

Last edited:
Where there's muck...we make our own luck...Our harvesting is way behind yours down south and no hay or silage fields cut, just barley ,wheat and rape.
When I can get the jeep close that is my kind of gralloch. That's a great bit of kit you have for hanging and dressing,did you make it?

I do work for some agricultural engineers who worked on a slaughter house for a lot of years so there are a few "bits" hanging around their workshop. I think that gambrel was off the line. I have 2, one in the truck and one set up in the shed.

My deer hoist which fits my rear bumper has a small loop on the end of the cable which fits them a treat.

Tim.243

Good result, congrats. Our game season is only just getting started, roebucks from the 10th, pigeons from the 21st. Fox/crow we can shoot nearly all year.

Sound like a great day!!
Hoping to get a few birds tomorrow myself.

Your truck looks the right colour for the gralloch lol

Good result, congrats. Our game season is only just getting started, roebucks from the 10th, pigeons from the 21st. Fox/crow we can shoot nearly all year.

Thank you, no Roe on my patch, no season on the pigeon, foxes, or crows. We have a General licence for shooting.

Sound like a great day!!
Hoping to get a few birds tomorrow myself.

Your truck looks the right colour for the gralloch lol

How did you get on? The colour made it cheaper at the auction lol

Tim.243

Last edited:
Thank you, no Roe on my patch, no season on the pigeon, foxes, or crows. We have a General licence for shooting.

How did you get on? The colour made it cheaper at the auction lol

Tim.243

I took my 73year old grandad with me today has he can only really do the dryer months due to the ground being a bit to wet for him on the longer walks.

Anyway after arriving at the farm to see the peas are still yet to be cut and watching 4 fields all with a few birds on,
We got the gear out and set up under a nice big oak tree that the birds seem to have taken a liking to we both missed a few easy birds but in the end the old dog picked 68.

A nice day and good the see my grandad enjoying what he has done since he was a boy.

I took my 73year old grandad with me today has he can only really do the dryer months due to the ground being a bit to wet for him on the longer walks.

Anyway after arriving at the farm to see the peas are still yet to be cut and watching 4 fields all with a few birds on,
We got the gear out and set up under a nice big oak tree that the birds seem to have taken a liking to we both missed a few easy birds but in the end the old dog picked 68.

A nice day and good the see my grandad enjoying what he has done since he was a boy.

Sweet.........

Going to take my Dad (90) when they cut the linseed, I can see it being the last to be cut this end of the farm so there will be a few float in.

Tim.243

Sweet.........

Going to take my Dad (90) when they cut the linseed, I can see it being the last to be cut this end of the farm so there will be a few float in.

Tim.243
Hope you both get a few!!!
im hoping to get back out next week the peas will be cut for sure by then they were only up to my ankles yesterday with a lot of the pods already split open.

I might see if my dad and grandad what a day then there will be 3 generations.

Back