Thread: They say you never forget your first...

They say you never forget your first...

After a couple of unsuccessful, though very enjoyable and informative, stalks tonight came good. I've been out with a local stalker who's kindly been letting me accompany him. We stalked into a field where there was a fabulous 6 point buck with a doe. Stoop-walked towards the rise in the field and crawled in to see into the dip, then this young lad popped up. It was decided to take this one and let the big chap pass on his genes for the rest of the season. Shot kneeling off sticks at about 80 yards after a crawl through the grass.
    The thing I'm happiest about is that I didn't get flustered at the shot, I'd always worried about whether I would when faced with a live quarry, but I put the bullet spot on target and I can't tell you how relieved I am about that. It wasn't until after I'd reloaded and watched him go down after a short run that the realisation that I'd actually shot my first deer hit.
    Gralloched it under instruction, another thing I'd wanted to be able to do. So, I'm now a deer stalker, albeit very much still a novice. Here's to many more I hope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8722_zpsh0zej4wf.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	355.2 KB 
ID:	73008

Well done, that man !

I would suggest that you keep the head. It will bring back fond memories for you.

I still have my first, circ.1980.

Steve.
    He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast. Shakespeare, King Lear.

Congratulations.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Well done ,first of many
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

You did real good J , it was a pleasure to take you out and be present during what is for most people a big moment in their lifetime. Hopefully I can pass on some of the little knowledge I have .
    Your willing to listen and ask questions ,you have patience and carefully observe what is going on around you, you have respect for the animals we decide as stalkers whether to take or leave.
    You are welcome to come anytime (I'm going again next Sunday evening )
    ATB Mark

Quote Originally Posted by cervushunter View Post
    You did real good J , it was a pleasure to take you out and be present during what is for most people a big moment in their lifetime. Hopefully I can pass on some of the little knowledge I have .
    Your willing to listen and ask questions ,you have patience and carefully observe what is going on around you, you have respect for the animals we decide as stalkers whether to take or leave.
    ATB Mark
    Congrats to Mr M on your first of many.
    Nice one Mark, and by the way Mark, i still have those waders hanging in my garage!
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by cervushunter View Post
    ATB Mark
    Thank you Mark, it's a great pleasure and learning experience stalking with you, I look forward to continuing doing so and learning from you. Will ping you about next Sunday during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by NOTSHARP View Post
    Well done, that man !

I would suggest that you keep the head. It will bring back fond memories for you.

I still have my first, circ.1980.

Steve.
    I hadn't thought of that. I don't have much interest in trophies, that's not my reason for hunting but I'll ask if it's still available, that might be something to consider as a moment to look back on.