Stalking in the rain.

Cornishbuck

Hi guy's I'm a novice deer stalker I have done my dsc 1 and shoot two roe bucks since getting my rifle, last night I was out and the drizzle started at times it was heavy drizzle to constant rain. The deer I saw the evening before did not show I was wondering if this could have been to do with the rain after all we don't like getting wet so is this the same for deer? Is a wet trip a ruined trip out?

not always yes deer shelter but if the rain stops deer come out the timber to shake and dry off .as we all know it rains a lot in Scotland deer have gotta eat !makes a big difference if you've a doe box to shelter in and wait the rain out
Cissy's only go out in fine weather :D

On my ground both north and south of the border iv found that roe don't mind the rain but strong cold winds seem to put them off moving around regards Benji

On my ground both north and south of the border iv found that roe don't mind the rain but strong cold winds seem to put them off moving around regards Benji

I would agree. Rain isn't a problem for Deer but cold winds do tend to keep them sheltered.

deer shelter but if the rain stops deer come out the timber to shake and dry off.

+1

It is well worth checking when the rain is likely to stop (http://www.raintoday.co.uk - Rain radar for the UK) and being in position in a likely vantage point shortly before the rain stops. As they do tend to show themselves when they realise that there is a break in the weather, all the better if the sun decides to break through as well.

I've been sat on the hill overlooking the woods in the evening, sideways Scottish rain, the deer (roe) still came out. I wouldn't have spotted them but for the dog indicating their presence. After all that couldn't get a shot as rain was that heavy I couldn't get a clear sight picture.
So rain doesn't bother them but a cold easterly wind, that's a different story
ILB

Back