Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Young people and Sec 1

Young people and Sec 1

Very much confused about this. My next door neighbours 15 yo is interested in shooting, can I take him?

From what I gather he can have a FAC (but can't buy rifles/ammo) but am I right in saying he can't borrow one, with me present, till 18?
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Very much confused about this. My next door neighbours 15 yo is interested in shooting, can I take him?

From what I gather he can have a FAC (but can't buy rifles/ammo) but am I right in saying he can't borrow one, with me present, till 18?

he can only shoot a rifle that is on his FAC at 15

the estate rule is for over 17

That's ridiculous, so he can have a rifle but can't try mine to see whether he likes it? Stupid.

Are you a member of a target club? You could take him there as a probationer and he can try any rifle available. LBR are restricted to FAC holders that have the authority even at clubs.

Have a look at the Metropolitan Police website:- Age restrictions - Metropolitan Police Service

The table on the link above, tells you what young people can do under 18, under 15 and under 14 years old.

Hopefully your neigbour's 15 year old is also fully insured.

As he is only 15 and as a novice, you will have to supervising him on a one-to-one basis. I am not sure when he could shoot on his own unsupervised.

https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk...-restrictions/

There is the Devon Cornwall Police version and I cannot see where it restricts you from taking a 15 year old neighbour out shooting, regardless of calibre, so long as you have the parental permission to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk...-restrictions/

There is the Devon Cornwall Police version and I cannot see where it restricts you from taking a 15 year old neighbour out shooting, regardless of calibre, so long as you have the parental permission to do so.
    Thats the first place I looked and came to the same conclusion as you but then looked other places and got confused by what is, to me at least, ambiguous information.

Thats the first place I looked and came to the same conclusion as you but then looked other places and got confused by what is, to me at least, ambiguous information.
    In a club scenario there is no age restriction on shooting, so long as they are probationary members or full members, young people to shoot at a HO approved club must have the permission of the parent. Young royals go game shooting supervised. The point is that the young person must be under full supervision with parental permission. Give middlemoor or BASC a call in the morning to put your mind at rest if you feel the need. I would advise appropriate insurance for the BASC young shot

Quote Originally Posted by brunel-999 View Post
    Have a look at the Metropolitan Police website:- Age restrictions - Metropolitan Police Service

The table on the link above, tells you what young people can do under 18, under 15 and under 14 years old.

Hopefully your neigbour's 15 year old is also fully insured.

As he is only 15 and as a novice, you will have to supervising him on a one-to-one basis. I am not sure when he could shoot on his own unsupervised.
    That one definitely makes it appear that he can shoot my rifles on private land which is what I am wanting to do. I will 100% be with him and supervising him.

From my understanding a person under the age of 17 may have their own FAC which would allow them to be given a rifle and ammunition (but not buy) which they can use under supervision of a full licence holder on private property with consent. They may NOT how ever shoot unsupervised until they reach the age of 18.

Any person who does not have their own FAC may only use on once they obtain the age of 17 years under supervision of a licence holder.
    This may be different at "proper" club grounds, but is my understanding of use on private ground.
    However I'm sure he can come along and learn all the field craft and see what's involved. Explain what is a safe shot or not, show why you do things in certain ways etc. Just use common sense I'm sure he'll pick up many skills.