Thread: new windfarm on our ground

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries

new windfarm on our ground

was wondering if any of you guys have windfarms on your stalking ground or have future plans for w/f site, if so when whats your for's & against's once up did they have an effect on deer & stalking??

Quote Originally Posted by calmac View Post
    was wondering if any of you guys have windfarms on your stalking ground or have future plans for w/f site, if so when whats your for's & against's once up did they have an effect on deer & stalking??
    Calmac - There is an application in for a new farm just off of the road between Gatehouse of Fleet and Creetown. Is this the one you are referring to?
    KevinF -

It'll give you an excellent road network

A bit of ground I sometimes stalk on has a few.

They don't seem to bother deer, although it is a bit strange at first creeping about under these things, it ain't very peaceful!!

Still undecided on whether I like them

Both the for and against lobbies put forward credible arguements, they are the cash cow right now so now doubt we will see far more of them

I've shot grouse under them, the first year the clients moaned a bit and said they didn't travel all the way acroos the pond to stand under these things and shoot 40 brace.

2nd year they shot 100 odd brace and didn't mention the windmills and paid their deposit for the next year.

Personal Rant!

Fight the application of all wind farms, they are a scar on the landscape and about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Go nuclear.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    no mate its not anywere near their
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    Calmac - There is an application in for a new farm just off of the road between Gatehouse of Fleet and Creetown. Is this the one you are referring to?

we have them on our place in larnakshire, must admit it has transformed the place, it used to be very hard stalking the big blocks, but now the clear fell has taken place for the windmills and opened up a lot of nice areas, also as mentioned you get great roads.
    another plus is you notice which way the winds coming from ,from a long way off.
    the deer dont even notice them.
    bad points , you get more disturbance from maintance vans etc and it also opens up the area for more dog walkers and the like.
    no good mourning about them , they are hear to stay ,so best make the most of it.

I stalk on and around the largest wind farm in eroupe the Whitelee forrest wind farm . When the work was getting done there were no deer to be seen most of the deer i picked up were on farm land and rough areas rouns the perimeter. But it has settled down abit now and i am back to taking 20 -30 deer a year off it , so put up with the crap and you will get the bonus later. I certainly pity the chaps that had to pay cash during the 3 years it was getting constructed i think i would have asked for a reduction.

Calmac:
    During the construction of the windfarm it is obviously likely that disturbance will be significant and result in movement of deer back into the nearest high timber. However, once those big white babies are in place... work will reduce down to maintanance levels and occasional monitoring. Really depends on the size of your patch, and whether you have quieter areas during the construction phase to escape to?
    It will not be long after completion when you start getting back into the deer and enjoying some significant open areas with plenty of edges to work along.
    Overall there is no doubt that the turbines will benefit your stalking activities and dont forget they also give you another good advantage as well......... Awoooosh Awoooosh Awooosh!!!

"no matter How much you do ....................there is always plenty more"

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    thanks guys i thought as much, our neighbours have had some cracking roads put in, they are better than public rd leading to ground...