Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem prepping roe head

Problem prepping roe head

I'm having a bit of an issue prepping my first head. I've soaked the skinned head since Saturday and then simmered tonight for 40 mins. I say simmered as it never really reached a rolling boil. When I got it out I put it in a bucket of cold water for a few minutes and started to clean the excess meat off. However, it is like rubber! It's not coming off easily at all and the majority is managing to flick back into my face!! Have I simply not boiled it long enough and is it salvageable with another half hour or so?

In addition, I boiled it on the stove top with the extractor on full and some incense on the go and the wife hasn't said a thing!!

Cheers
    Col

It sounds like its not been cooked for long enough Col. Next time, boil it properly, then take it out and see how easily the flesh comes off before cooling it. That way, if it hasn't been boiled for long enough it can be stuck straight back in for another ten minutes.

Cheers. Is there any risk to cracking the skull if I stick it in for another 40 tomorrow? It's still sat in water now so that it doesn't dry out.

I would put it straight into boiling water for 10 minutes and then test it, followed by 5 minutes at a time. I never simmer as I want the bone cooked for the shortest possible time. I haven't done lots of heads but I haven't ruined one yet. However, I have never cooked one for 40 minutes either!
    Good luck

Simmering is no good you need a rolling boil, length of time will depend on age of animal about twenty minutes for a youngster about double that for an old animal, skin the head before boiling you will see when the flesh is cookedj cook it too much and the nose will come apart not the end of the world, super glue will sort that.

Cheers. I'll give it another bash tomorrow.

Sounds to me that you never got enough meat off it before boiling which has meant you needed more of a boil than usual.You need to get as much meat etc off as possible.

Martin

I always skin it before boiling. Saw the shooting show on youtube the other week and he put it in with fur on and everything. Gads! Normally I have it at a rolling boil for at least 40mins. Like said above, less for wee ones. My guide has always been that when he membrane type covering on the face begins to peel back and expose the bone, that is about long enough. Saying that, since I have started using a pressure washer to clean the meat off, timings are far less but some nose bones are blown across the garden!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    I always skin it before boiling. Saw the shooting show on youtube the other week and he put it in with fur on and everything. Gads! Normally I have it at a rolling boil for at least 40mins. Like said above, less for wee ones. My guide has always been that when he membrane type covering on the face begins to peel back and expose the bone, that is about long enough. Saying that, since I have started using a pressure washer to clean the meat off, timings are far less but some nose bones are blown across the garden!
    I take a similar approach and also add some soda crystals. A tip I was given was to put some Fairy Liquid in too to cut down the smell. Regards JCS

Get yourself a Burco boiler from ebay,and a pressure washer.
    Works a treat.