Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calling muntjac

calling muntjac

Has anybody successfuly called Munties in using a butollo? As I've read that you can call them in using a buttolo.

If you have what calldid you use and how did you do?

Thanks in advance.

I had an interesting stalk last summer whilst after Roe Buck, moving along a ride I noticed something move in the deep undergrowth I gave a couple of calls on my "Buttolo Blatter" and was answered by a Muntjac bark, every time I called I was answered by this muntjac, eventually the Munty came into view, this took about 10 minutes, she was left for another day.
    I have tried a couple of times since without any luck so it may be she had young near to me, it may have been the day! but give it a try.

Muntiacus

Carl Gustaf
    Calling muntjac with a buttolo usually means that they think that they are answering the calls of the fawn. Shooting a mother and leaving a dependant fawn is irresponsible. Try copying the tutting noise that the male munty makes when they are aggitated that I find works.

Late summer early autumn muntjac seem to get more bolshi and will challenge anything in their territory that they don't like the look of, just don't look too human and they will stand, stamp their feet, bark and then circle you immitting a low tutting sound. The hard part is not laughing at the cheeky sods!

Will.B
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Gustaf
    Calling muntjac with a buttolo usually means that they think that they are answering the calls of the fawn. Shooting a mother and leaving a dependant fawn is irresponsible.
    Wrong on both counts there Carl. It might be the case with Roe but its certainly not so with Muntjac.

Try copying the tutting noise that the male munty makes when they are aggitated that I find works.
    Really and exactly how do you make this "tutting noise" .

The hard part is not laughing at the cheeky sods!
    Or the silly sods that fall for giving it a try.

Will.B
    Calling muntjac with a buttolo usually means that they think that they are answering the calls of the fawn. Shooting a mother and leaving a dependant fawn is irresponsible.
    Wrong on both counts there Carl. It might be the case with Roe but its certainly not so with Muntjac.

Try copying the tutting noise that the male munty makes when they are aggitated that I find works.
    Really and exactly how do you make this "tutting noise" .

The hard part is not laughing at the cheeky sods!
    Or the silly sods that fall for giving it a try.

Will.B

Re: calling muntjac

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    Has anybody successfuly called Munties in using a butollo? As I've read that you can call them in using a buttolo.

If you have what calldid you use and how did you do?

Thanks in advance.
    I have been sucessfully calling Muntjac for the last 6-7 years using a Butollo call. You will need to re-tune the thing to a slightly higher pitch.

I have always found them to be set by the manufacturer at to low a pitch for roe anyway let alone Muntjac.

It works best from a high seat positioned along a woodland ride rather than along the edge. You'll find that both does and bucks will respond, usually with equal caution.

Good luck. It can be an exciting way of spending an stalking outing.

Will.B,

Was there a particular series of pheps etc you do with the Butolo to call them in?

Jase.

Carl Gustaf
    Wrong on both accounts! Have you read the article by Hugh Rose BDS Technical Officer 'Calling Muntjac-a welfare warning' Deer journal summer 2005.
    An opinion is only an opinion, it is not necessarily wrong because you personally don't agree with it.

If you don't know what the muntjac bucks 'clicking' sound is, put away your rifle and have a go at studying these enigamatic creatures, I did and reached my opinions on what I witnessed.

I am presently undertaking a two year Bio-diversity action plan and muntjac management schedule for a 210acre SSSI ancient woodland for the Wildlife Trust. I regularly get within twenty metres of the munties with no other means than those that I explained and in my orginal post.

Bradley
    >An opinion is only an opinion, it is not necessarily wrong because you personally don't agree with it.<
    Opinions based on unsound or wrong information will always be wrong. I don't think I've read the Hugh Rose BDS article. Does anyone have a link to it?

>If you don't know what the muntjac bucks 'clicking' sound is, put away your rifle and have a go at studying these enigamatic creatures, I did and reached my opinions on what I witnessed.<
    I am familiar with the sound you refer to but don't agree with you regarding their behaviour.

>I am presently undertaking a two year Bio-diversity action plan and muntjac management schedule for a 210acre SSSI ancient woodland for the Wildlife Trust. <
    2 years seems a long time for a BD action plan and muntjac management schedule. especially for a such a small site of only 210 acres. Ancient woodland and SSSI or not. Such are the joys of working with a Wildlife Trust, no commercial pressures.

>I regularly get within twenty metres of the munties with no other means than those that I explained and in my orginal post.<
    All righty then. 8)

Will.B
    An opinion is only an opinion, it is not necessarily wrong because you personally don't agree with it.
    Thats the nature of opinions as apposed to definative statements.

If you don't know what the muntjac bucks 'clicking' sound is, put away your rifle and have a go at studying these enigamatic creatures, I did and reached my opinions on what I witnessed.
    Well thats a start at least. So now we have a clicking sound rather than a "tutting". I presume you mean the sound they make by rubbing their teeth togather?

I am presently undertaking a two year Bio-diversity action plan and muntjac management schedule for a 210acre SSSI ancient woodland for the Wildlife Trust.
    Nice work if you can get it. I'm never convinced that it's always that practical though

I regularly get within twenty metres of the munties with no other means than those that I explained and in my orginal post.
    Well done. you've achieve more than a lot of other stalkers have.