Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bi pods

Bi pods

Iím looking into buying a bi-pod for my rifle and was hoping to tap into the knowledge available through the forum!

Iím thinking the height adjustable 6-9íí would be right for my needs, Itís probably going to be used mainly for target shooting but with the possibility of field use. Or would people recommend a different size?

Then there is the choice of manufacturer and price!
    The Harris: Fixed £60 and Swivel £85.99
    Shooters Ridge: Fixed £49.98 and Swivel £80.99
    Rock Mount: Fixed £44.95 and Swivel £74.99
    Deben: Fixed £44.95 and Swivel £64.99

I know the Harris by name and reputation but they have a price to match! Has anyone any experience with the other manufacturers or any other recommendations? Is it best to go for a fixed or swivel? As money is tight the price is important, but I donít want to buy cheap, buy twice!!

All recommendations gratefully accepted; thanks in advance.

Scott C,

I have the Harris 6-9" swivel. The height is ideal for prone shots and the swivel is well worth the extra few quid. Where mine fails to be mush use is in the shin high grass. My friend has the 12-18" (Ithink it is) Harris - ideal for sitting shots over low cover. Again, his has a swivel fitted.

They'e not mega expensive but I haven't bought two... Just have a think about what situations and cover you will be using it in before you buy would be my advice.

For general stalking the Harris 9''-13'' is the way to go. The next one up is good too, and can be used sitting, but is a bit to high for prone range work unless you are a big bloke. The swivel is essential, the Harris is worth the extra money over a Chinese monkey metal copy and get the notched leg version if you can. JC

Why no VersaPod? Similar to the old Parker Hale. Big benefit is you can easily remove the Bi-Pod in the field leaving the hand stop Plus you can swap to a longer one if you wish (Can afford) to take 2 into the field. 6-9 Sounds a bit low to get over the grass 9 - 12 would be better im my limited opinion.

http://www.beechwoodsport.com/acatal...ngBi-Pods.html
    Last edited by Welsh Guy; 22-06-2010 at 09:25.

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    For general stalking the Harris 9''-13'' is the way to go. The next one up is good too, and can be used sitting, but is a bit to high for prone range work unless you are a big bloke. The swivel is essential, the Harris is worth the extra money over a Chinese monkey metal copy and get the notched leg version if you can. JC

Here here, Original and best .

Being a "big bloke" I use the tallest one they make. My farther, an even bigger bloke, has one they discountinued becuase nobody bought it. Its a 16"-30" I think Unless you are a extremely large gentleman its way to big.

But I would go 13"-25" - I used to use a 9"-13" until defeated by tall grass, costing me a nice buck , I went out and bought the biggun the next day

No matter what you go for make sure it swivles! I would like a notched leg long one too but they dont make it :'(

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

it has to be Harris swivel,the hight is up to you. the Harris is good quality and holds a good re sale price! the swivel is good for shooting of a bonnet with a slope and uneven ground!

Its funny how we get used to things then find we can't live without them. My first bipod was a non-swivel and I seem to remember getting on fine with it, then I went over to swivel ones which, obviously, are better. Years later I used a non-swivel one on a borrowed rifle and thought that it was absolutely useless and came close to taking it off and chucking it! Anyone remember how we managed without computers! JC

Harris 9"-13" For general zeroing I can't fault it. I hate using them in the field though, i use adjustable sticks for most of my stalking. If shooting on the open hill I should think they are a real boon, I just hate carrying more than i need to!

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Harris 9"-13" For general zeroing I can't fault it. I hate using them in the field though, i use adjustable sticks for most of my stalking. If shooting on the open hill I should think they are a real boon, I just hate carrying more than i need to!

ft
    My problem with adjustable stick is their willingness to adjust themselves! I have done that twice - then I went back to Hazel, then B&Q. Pretty happy with where I am to but I fancy giving some Stoney Point a go - dont really know why

atb
    Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

If you go with a 6-9 make sure you spend the extra on swivel type because the day you try to use a fixed in the field you'll wish you spent the extra .