Gun safe a bit on the dark side?

aris

I just got one of these from Amazon

B005O6ONZ8

I'd post a full link, but I'm not allowed to yet :rolleyes: Just stick that in the search box.

Awesome. Can finally see what's going on :D Motion sensing, two independent pointable LED lights, runs on aaa's (included) - and best of all - magnetic fixing, so I can move it around at will. It just sticks to my safe with the included magnet.

Cant go wrong for a fiver

Aldi and Lidl had a range of these, some pir and some switchable. I have three of the switchable ones inside above the back door of my Disco (self adhesive velcro sticks to headlining). makes messing about in the back of the vehicle a lot better.

For me the selling point of this unit is the quality brand, but most importantly the magnetic mount. Just a no brainier for a steel safe. I have another one in my ammo compartment. The low price is the icing :)

i got some from Aldi a while ago. just touch the thing anywhere and it turns on. also have one in the ammo box. very useful

These are slightly different as they are PIR activated, so basically as soon as your hand goes in (or sometimes when you just open the door), the light activates and then switches off automatically.

I use the small strip lights that you get for lighting kitchen work tops. Got them mounted above the cupboard door and wired into a socket, loads of light. Have two above my reloading bench too

Thanks Aris. Bought 2. Even come with 3 x Philips batteries, all for a fiver delivered. It'll be interesting to see how long the batteries last driving the PIRs continually

Thanks Aris. Bought 2. Even come with 3 x Philips batteries, all for a fiver delivered. It'll be interesting to see how long the batteries last driving the PIRs continually

I have a couple of the single led Philips spoton's and they lasted 6 months or more. As you can imagine it depends on how often you open your safe. I am now using low-self-discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries. Well worth the effort of changing them to have a bit of light in both the gun cabinet and ammo compartment. I noted a few complaints of battery life in the comments on Amazon, but perhaps they were being triggered multiple times per day. If you think about it, wireless PIR's for house alarms last for ages before the batteries need replacing - I don't think that they use a lot of power. It is the LED emitters which munch power so the number of times they are triggered will determine battery life:

What are the magnetic fixings like? Does it have proper magnets in the back, or does it use the magnetic sticky strips?

What are the magnetic fixings like? Does it have proper magnets in the back, or does it use the magnetic sticky strips?

Proper magnets - rare earth types. Sits on the cabinet roof with a bit of a clunk

The magnets are used to keep the rear cover on. The rear cover can be screwed or glued to your desired surface. If you dispense of the rear cover, the magnets are exposed and just stick to any ferrous surface.

The magnets are used to keep the rear cover on. The rear cover can be screwed or glued to your desired surface. If you dispense of the rear cover, the magnets are exposed and just stick to any ferrous surface.

I've just had a couple arrive through the post today. Since when do they deliver on Sundays?! I was at first a little disappointed to see the double sided sticky tape on the back instead of magnets, but soon discovered that they were lurking under the back panel. Impressive amount of light and the PIR works well. Excellent little lamp for £5, thanks for the heads-up.

Yes, Amazon deliver 7 days a week. If you are in the right postcode, they deliver SAME DAY later that evening. I had this item delivered same day. People like to moan about Amazon, but they really do push the boat out with regards to innovation and customer service.

Back