Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long to wait in a high seat?

How long to wait in a high seat?

I have started to stalk in a large wood with a good number of quite well-positioned high seats. So far, all my success has come from just one of them, which overlooks a small meadow. I typically spend a couple of hours there and, more often than not, am rewarded with a deer.

What I would be interested to understand from other members is, given a choice of seats but if you had seen no deer, how long you would typically wait in a high seat before climbing down and moving on to another one? Is there a risk that, however carefully I stalk between seats, I will spook more deer than if I waited in the same seat for twice the time? I am torn between always starting at the same "lucky" seat (and then never getting beyond it) and thinking I could cover more ground in a morning's stalk.

Thanks for any advice

Quote Originally Posted by Sash View Post
    I have started to stalk in a large wood with a good number of quite well-positioned high seats. So far, all my success has come from just one of them, which overlooks a small meadow. I typically spend a couple of hours there and, more often than not, am rewarded with a deer.

What I would be interested to understand from other members is, given a choice of seats but if you had seen no deer, how long you would typically wait in a high seat before climbing down and moving on to another one? Is there a risk that, however carefully I stalk between seats, I will spook more deer than if I waited in the same seat for twice the time? I am torn between always starting at the same "lucky" seat (and then never getting beyond it) and thinking I could cover more ground in a morning's stalk.

Thanks for any advice
    What a dilemma!

If the other high seats are not productive why do you refer to them as well-positioned?

If you are bored with being successful from your productive high seat then you may as well move...if you are desperate to go home with a deer then logic would sort of indicate that you continue to use the productive seat until such time as it fails to produce...

Alan

Wind direction, weather, time of year time of day, will all affect where the deer are at any given time, it's not as simple as just having the seat in the right place.. If your meadow is being battered by a gale there maybe more chance of seeing deer in a more sheltered spot..

When I had access to some really good high seats, snug enough to doze in and sheltered from the wind and rain, I took enough sandwiches to last me from Monday to Friday unless a Deer showed itself ;-)

Stay where you are. Have a nap, check email, count clouds... No matter. You are in the right place so keep still and be patient. The best seat is the one that is the one that they don't know about, so enjoy being out there. Seeing one is a privilege, getting it in the cross hairs is a bonus, and putting something in the freezer is the ultimate!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

quote.......I typically spend a couple of hours there and, more often than not, am rewarded with a deer.

wow thats good........ keep going there.

two hours at dawn and two hours at dusk is about right, but longer if its comfortable.
    you often get a "fail me never seat" the more its used the more deer get shot from it
    and so the more popular it becomes. The answer is to get someone in each of the seats at the same time
    and see what they see. I sometimes put a camera up in one seat then sit in another
    Later you can run the film back and see what you might have seen.

If you have a series of seats you can sit in one at dawn for an hour, stalk to the next, have half hour sit down,
    then stalk to the next etc.

Ive put a trail cam out and at one seat you would have to go about a dozen times in order to have a chance to see a deer

If bored get out of the high seat and learn to stalk.

I've yet to shoot a deer from a seat (or from anywhere else come to that - I'm a bit of a slow starter at this game ), but I love sitting up in a highseat. I certainly wouldn't put a time limit on it. It's just amazing for watching wildlife, even if there's no deer about. In fact, I'm tempted to put one up on my own farm (where deer don't exist) purely for the pleasure of sitting up there at daybreak, and maybe bag the odd fox or bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    Ive put a trail cam out and at one seat you would have to go about a dozen times in order to have a chance to see a deer

Good idea Bob. We are just in the process of doing the same after four consecutive blanks from one of our seats.
    Finding which seats just don't work, without using lots of blank stalker-visits is a real bonus, particularly when one needs to get results.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

everyone has their favorite seat even out of 100 + on the estate I make it my mission to try and see and cull deer from the ones I've not done so from so far .you kind of have a feeling if a seat will produce or not and at what times of day or even season it will come up trumps .fallow in particular wise up to seats that they get a hammering from .many times I've had esp older does look straight up at a seat before they step out too far !
    Norma