Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any thoughts?

any thoughts?

just had a good keeper friend on the phone who has got a old howa .243 which is about 9 years old and to be honest has seen better days and he is thinking about giving it the boot at the end of the season and was asking me what caliber would i choose to replace it, the .243 has served him well and to be honest he has nothing against it he would just like a change and even tho he isnt a deer stalker he would like to keep to a larger caliber to buff the wind as where he is is very open and always seems to be windy. So what would you chaps think off ive punted in with either a .25-06 or .270 as hes not a reloader and they both shoot reasonably flat but does anyone else have any thoughts

6.5 x 55? 7 x 57? Couple of soft handling classics.

David.

You say he isn't a stalker, so guessing it's for foxing?
    If that's the case how about 22-250?
    I've only fired one once, the one that my pal bought from llwynog off this site, but was seriously impressed.
    I'm sure that llwynog will confirm that weather conditions were extreme on that day (high winds, structural damage, downpours, flooding etc), yet still managed 3 touching shots at 100m.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    You say he isn't a stalker, so guessing it's for foxing?
    yes vss it will be for foxing mainly plus the odd crow ect

if no deer then a 204
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

Why not stick to a 243 ? As its in its perfect element for fox and long range crow etc albeit an expensive crow killer
    And it's familiar , and only requires a 1 for 1

buy a nice variant of Sako and you can't really go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    Why not stick to a 243 ? As its in its perfect element for fox and long range crow etc albeit an expensive crow killer
    And it's familiar , and only requires a 1 for 1

buy a nice variant of Sako and you can't really go wrong
    +1 for the incredible .204cal fantastic for what he wants,and it isn't always
    about going bigger.....smaller is sometimes better so do him a favour and point him in the right direction Darr

thanks for the replys chaps to be honest im finding it hard to point him past the .243 for what he wants but lets be honest weve all been guilty of fancying a change of caliber over the years

just get it rebarrelled in 243 ? no need for a variation etc
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Would he be the sort to have a rifle made and do some loving handloading for it or will he be after another factory rifle?

If the latter then he may as well stick with the 243 or maybe a .260 remington.

If he just fancies a change then anything from a .22 swift to a .25-06 would do it.