Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Musings on redundancy . . . . .

Musings on redundancy . . . . .

I'm about to be made redundant after some 5 years working for a big player in Oil and Gas. We're losing almost half of the engineers in the office, and the majority of them are scuttling about like cockroaches caught in the light trying to outshine each other in a bid to impress. Me? I couldn't care less about it, to be honest. I've harboured plans of my own for the last year or so and a nice wee redundancy package will help pay for them, as well as affording me the time to actually put them into practice.

It's funny how when the chips are down the knives come out though, isn't it? Makes you realise that the people you spent the vast majority of your time with really aren't your friends, and that the company that puts so much pressure on you, and takes up so much of your life, really couldn't give a toss when the bean-counters get their knickers in a twist.

Guess the point I'm making is that sometimes something out of your control happens to make you realise just how out of whack your life has become, and how important it is not to sweat the small stuff and have a think about what's really important in your life while you still have a chance to address it
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Plefty of us round this neck of the woods in this situation, albeit without the redundancy package.
    Very true your musings on the people we work with, most of them will happily see you go under to save their own skins. I make a point of keeping 99% of so called colleagues at a distance. I've always felt it's an industry that breeds a***holes, but perhaps it's just the modern business world that does that. I for one long for the day when I no longer have to try and drag my body and a waterlogged survival suit into a raft every four years.
    All the best with your future ventures Sir !
    Last edited by Malxwal; 10-08-2016 at 10:28.

There's been a massacre right across Oil and Gas right enough, hasn't there? I've been extremely lucky in that this is the first time I've fallen under the axe, and I at least have an alternative avenue I can take. It certainly makes you appreciate what's important though, that's for sure
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I feel your pain and share your sentiments about "friends/colleagues " I had the same issue last September however was unfortunate enough to not be there long enough to be entitled to anything except an letter dropped on my desk when I arrived in one morning telling me how sorry they were.
    at least you have other avenues and I hope things go well for you.

best of luck in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I'm about to be made redundant after some 5 years working for a big player in Oil and Gas. We're losing almost half of the engineers in the office, and the majority of them are scuttling about like cockroaches caught in the light trying to outshine each other in a bid to impress. Me? I couldn't care less about it, to be honest. I've harboured plans of my own for the last year or so and a nice wee redundancy package will help pay for them, as well as affording me the time to actually put them into practice.

It's funny how when the chips are down the knives come out though, isn't it? Makes you realise that the people you spent the vast majority of your time with really aren't your friends, and that the company that puts so much pressure on you, and takes up so much of your life, really couldn't give a toss when the bean-counters get their knickers in a twist.

Guess the point I'm making is that sometimes something out of your control happens to make you realise just how out of whack your life has become, and how important it is not to sweat the small stuff and have a think about what's really important in your life while you still have a chance to address it
    I joined the redundancy Q after working for the same family for over 36 years. However after the death of the main stay of the family ( a great man) the whole game changed and the back stabbing and those trying to make a place for themselves in the future all came to a head.

I came out with a payment, and after some 9 months 99% of the staff left or resigned. They had all had enough of the regime.

Me, well I already had the stalking business for nearly 30 years so I just pushed on and haven't looked back. I suppose what I am saying is that you have the right attitude towards it. Some look on it as the end of the world, others scuttle around (which I have also witnessed) ar// licking thinking they will be alright (usually not).

Its a new beginning, and further more you don't have to be at the beck and call of those who really do not care if you are loyal or not. Loyalty doesn't make money, and integrity is something most wouldn't know the meaning of.

I find that loyalty and integrity are the makings of a true good human being, unfortunately we have a few in the stalking world who are not of that persuasion either. But then you can always walk away from it if you work for yourself, where as in a paid job 9 times out of ten you have to work with them everyday.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Know exactly your point as being in the construction trade my world nearly fell apart at the start of 2008
    Turned it round by having 6 months in NZ !!
    One door closes and another one opens as the saying goes
    Best of luck in the new venture
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

I wish you all the very best! like folk have said its been savage... We've weathered the storm but a service company we use extensively have really been hit hard, moral is rock bottom and your observations are spot on its every man for themselves! As Malxwal says the day i make my last trip to the beach cant come soon enough!
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

I got shafted by a MAJOR DUTCH OIL Company early on in my career.. it was a blessing in disguise! It was then I adopted Arthur Seaton's' philosophy on life " I'm out for a good time... all the rest is propaganda"...
    the following 40+ years in the Oil & Gas Industry I focussed on the good time locations spending it on fast cars, loose women cold beer (the rest I wasted) ...but I had a good time ....balloaks to having a Career ! & I'm glad I'm out of it

Redundancy is a way of life these days been through a couple myself and never looked back. In a takeover situation I've seen the type of Brutus behavior but generally from the people you expect. To separate friends from people that you work with, see if you are still in contact after a year. My old boss did and now I'm working with him again and enjoying life. As one door closes another opens. Oil and Gas and mining has been taking huge layoffs in the last 2 years and it's a global phenomenon.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

I have been through 2 redundancies, gone through a course of education to re-tool and am transitioning - keep your chin up!

You may find this book an interesting read:

http://www.100yearlife.com/the-challenge/