Thread: Golden Days

Golden Days

Its early morning in a couple of hours it will be raining but for the moment the sun is peaking over the horizon and there is a decided chill in the air,there is something different this morning but for a moment or two I don't realize what it is or perhaps I am just in denial.

Slowly it dawns on me its the light,there is a subtle change in the light,this is hard to explain but there is a definite change , take a deep breath yes something is different it smells slightly different from yesterday.

I don't know why I am surprised all the signs have been there for a week or more.

Looking across the loch which is dead calm to where he hill on the opposite side is struck by the first of the suns rays and the corrie's still have a hint of mist hanging in them , these are the same corrie's that will echo with roar of rutting stags in a few weeks time.On the hillside the heather is in bloom and on the lower slopes there are now patches of yellow amongst the green of the bracken.

Closer to hand the Rowans are already ripe just waiting for the hoards of Fieldfares that will descend on them in the near future,likewise the hips of the dog rose while not yet fully ripe are starting to colour.

Only a couple of days ago I saw my first skein of geese only to see another a short time later just to confirm I was not mistaken the first time.

What is this change I talk of ? yes Autumn has arrived at least five weeks earlier than usual and while it is my favorite time of year it would have been nice to have had some summer first.

It was only 9.5C coming home from work this afternoon. Its Autumn weather with green leaves still on the Birch trees. The Rowan tree have a mass of berries this year and the Björktrast ,(Fieldfare) Will dine well this year. Its legal to shoot Fieldfares in Sweden from 1st August to 31st March. Not sure why anyone would want to shoot them though.
    I can see us getting the first frost in about 3 weeks at this rate. The smell of fallen birch leaves on a frosty morning just smells like hunting weather.
    Roe buck season starts next Tuesday and with the cooler weather there should be no midges or mozzies. Hope its not quite so wet next week.

Wrong thread

Nicely put bogtrotter. A frost and -3 degrees in the Cairngorms yesterday morning.

Here we have blackberries ready and damsons not far off, months early. That warm May seems to have things topsy turvey.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post

Closer to hand the Rowans are already ripe just waiting for the hoards of Fieldfares that will descend on them in the near future,likewise the hips of the dog rose while not yet fully ripe are starting to colour..
    Looking out the back of the house yesterday evening and a flock of about 30 Fieldfares landed in the field. I wonder if the cranes will be flying south early this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Looking out the back of the house yesterday evening and a flock of about 30 Fieldfares landed in the field. I wonder if the cranes will be flying south early this year.
    Usually September before we see Fieldfares where I am, but I have seen them in August in the past, already seen Geese arriving a full five weeks before I would normally expect to see them, Swallow numbers are becoming less each day so they have already started heading south.

I would not be at all surprised if the Fieldfares arrive early , will keep an eye open.