Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mincer that can do bone / whole rabbit

Mincer that can do bone / whole rabbit

Hi folks ,
    I'm working an EI young no8 mincer & think it's great for the venison ..

But I feed the dog RAW & she does very well on it

I have access to rabbits & was wondering does anyone mince rabbit carcasses whole / or semi broken down but with bone included

If so recommendations on what
    mincer(s)??
    Cheers
    Paul

I would get a cheap manual cast iron mincer from Lakeland or similar to do this. The biggest problem is getting the bone small enough to travel down the screw before it gets to the plates and you risk damaging the plates by putting bone through it.

Do you have to mince them? I just used to portion them up and freeze, bones and all.

Wild animals do not get minced rabbit! Crunching raw bones is all part of the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet. Bones keep teeth clean!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Wild animals do not get minced rabbit! Crunching raw bones is all part of the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet. Bones keep teeth clean!
    MS
    Indeed!
    When i was running the whippets on rabbits 3 or 4 nights a week they were fed exclusively on raw rabbit......and they excelled on it! The diet is hard to beat!
    Just make sure your worming programme is is up to date and regular.
    I just used to paunch, skin and quarter the rabbits.
    If your keen on feeding barf then I would just do the same. Yes there are risks (choking on bones etc) but they are small and I would just supervise feed time

Paul....

Our spaniel gets them quartered.....bones and all. She'll happily munch her way through the bones of a deer carcass, vertebrae, pelvis and all if it is given in "meal" sized chunks. Also whole uncooked chicken carcasses, wings and thighs.....come to think of it that is the answer to your question....One 3 yr old springer spaniel mincing machine!

Hope you are well!

Our little Springers have pheasant legs or thighs, bones and all, once or twice a week as the juicy bit on top of their biscuits. They have any of the uncooked bones from deer apart from the leg bones. Their poo comes out a bit like concrete sometimes, but I am sure it is good for cleaning out the anal glands!

Alan

theres no need to skin the rabbits either..
    Last edited by ileso; 11-08-2016 at 11:04.

Cheers guys
    My dog is already on RAW & does great .
    I knew already regarding g bones & all & she gets chicken wings , carcasses when I get them .....
    I just like giving the fog different textures , mix things up a bit

Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    Our little Springers have pheasant legs or thighs, bones and all, once or twice a week as the juicy bit on top of their biscuits. They have any of the uncooked bones from deer apart from the leg bones. Their poo comes out a bit like concrete sometimes, but I am sure it is good for cleaning out the anal glands!

Alan
    Same here. No harm done